New Frame

tom_g92
tom_g92 Posts: 25
edited September 2012 in MTB buying advice
May be looking at a new frame, can anybody recommend any good frames. Max budget would be around £500, would consider second hand.

thanks

Comments

• Brilliant question.

I'm choking back the sarcastic responses to say:

What type of frame (hardtail or full suspension)
    For what type of riding (trail, race, DH, FR, dirtjump)
    What are you going to fit to it? Do you need a frame that fits a specific fork? A specific wheelset?
    Any particular colour you like?
    Does it have to be a bike frame?
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • haha, possibly should have added a few more specifics.

Looking for a hardtail, previously had a scott scale frame which is fairly race orientated. Would be looking for either L or XL. Probably to fit a rock shox rekon fork or equivalent. Open to options on the colour scheme.

My Scott frame had developed a crack, if the warranty doesn't cover it then I will be purchasing a replacement. Groupset is mainly shimano deoure/slx.
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Just because your old frame was pretty racy doesn't mean that you'll be racing it. Is that exactly what you want? There's a LOT of choice these days. I'm not saying this to be a pain, but you need to know exactly what you want.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Perhaps start here: http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... mit=Search

Read up a little and then pick a few and then ask advice?

Not being trite but its kind of impossible to answer.
  • So your opening question was abit like asking what vehicle with tyres and an engine should I buy, now you are asking what car. Still a little general.

People need to know how/what you ride, what you want from a bike, whether your existing forks are 100mm or 120mm or what (I am guessing 100mm as they are from a Scale), what you liked and didnt like about your old bike, whether you want to pursue a specific discipline.

I'm going to assume you are a xc oriented trail rider and since you bought a scale you are pretty into your riding (or you had a lot of money spare for your first bike!) - distance or speed possibly both.

Cheap replacement xc oriented frame that would fit your forks - Handsome Dog XC01 http://www.allterraincycles.co.uk/.HandsomeDog-XC01-Frame_6479.htm

Near the top end of your budget - Kinesis Maxlight XC Pro 3 http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=52064

More trail oriented hardtails to consider - Ragley Piglet, Cove Handjob, Kona Explosif maybe (CRC have some in 18 and 19" at bargain prices).
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    I'm thinking of moving, what house should I buy.
  • 3 bed 2 bath, double garage, small garden, just outside Ipswich.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    With space for a very large bike shed, one of those scandinavian style log cabin look ones would be great....about the size of a garage......Anyware but Ipswich
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    Look at Kinesis - they make nice frames that are good value and a range of travel options (100, 120 & 140mm from memory)...depending on what you need. On One is also worth a look.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • Levi_501
    Levi_501 Posts: 1,105
    Depends on your actual style, but there are some bargain Evil ones on Chainreaction, sometimes you will see a PZ Racing one for that sort of money, although I have never seen/used one.

My choice would be a Trek 8500, other than that a Scott Scale or simialr.