Removing headset cups...

luv2ride
luv2ride Posts: 2,367
edited September 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
so after some helpful responses to my posting yesterday I've swapped my cranks and external BB. Now decided to move on to swapping components between frames to build up my sons "new" bike Everything off his 13" 2006 Stumpy frame and on to a NOS 15" Rockhopper pro 2008 frame.

All going well until I tried removing the headset cups, after taking off the forks, etc. They are pressed in tight. Can I do this without special tools, or is it a LBS job? Worth trying to tap out with a screwdriver or is that the worst thing to do?! :?

cheers
Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I whack them out with a screwdriver.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    And a hammer naturally.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Hammer and screwdriver and just knock them out slowly, working around the edges so you don't flare the head tube.
    Or you could get a bit of pipe a little thinner than the steerer tube of the fork, cut some slots into it and flare the ends out a bit and knock it out with that. Should look a bit like the image below, that's all a headset removal tool is.

14037.jpg
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    thanks for the advice - will give it a go
    cheers
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...