Upgrade to Kona Cindercone 2012?

poddy
poddy Posts: 52
edited September 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi-I currently run a Focus Fatboy, 2007 model and mainly go round Llandegla, sometimes Marin, Coed Y Brenin but mainly Llandegla as it's only 5 miles away from where I live!

I'm going to be passing my bike down to my son who'll now fit it perfectly as he's a very occasional rider. Anyway good excuse to treat myself.

Good problem to have but I've been more than happy with the Focus, it's been ultra tough and all I've needed to replace is the rear cassette (twice) and the front chainrings, other than pads, chains etc (I must have done about 300 laps round the Llandegla black runs plus a few trips to other trails). I upgraded the forks to Rockshock Tora Race (air shocks) and it runs Magura Julie Hydraulic brakes.

I've been tempted by the Kona Cindercone 2012 model but what I'm looking to do is to upgrade to a better all-round bike, hence my confusion as I've been happy with the Focus but of course you never know how good the next step up might be. The bike I had before the Focus cost me £80 quid from Halfords and I remember being blown away by the difference between that cheapo bike and the Focus so wonder if I can achieve the same by upgrading. Anyone got any advice-is the Kona a step up or would I be better spending a bit more (have up to £1000 to spend on a hardtail). The Kona seems really good value at the moment at £639, been reduced from nearly a grand. I don't think I'll be looking at full sus for the type of riding and budget. Have also looked at Trek 6300 but that's £900 so not sure if it would be any better than the Kona.

Comments