Frame crack. Pictures.

tom_g92
tom_g92 Posts: 25
edited September 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Scott Scale 70 2009.

I use the bike regularly, on some fairly rough terrain but nothing too strenuous. I do not do any jumps on the bike, but a small crack has appeared. I noticed it earlier as i was cleaning the bike, and the crack can clearly be seen going straight through the frame.

pictures below.

help please! can this be fixed?

http://s1058.photobucket.com/albums/t41 ... a2eecd.jpg
http://s1058.photobucket.com/albums/t41 ... e4318f.jpg
http://s1058.photobucket.com/albums/t41 ... d69f51.jpg

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Upload the pictures to Photobucket or similar. Link to them.
  • Contact the dealer, it should be covered under warranty
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Yep, that's a crack alright.
    Doubt it will be warrantied, it's a 2009. I certainly wouldn't continue riding it.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    not much than can be done to that.get in contact with the place of sale and have look for your receipt.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Scott warranty:

The warranty of frames is 5 year, but shall only be granted in case once a year a maintenance service has been affected according to maintenance requirements as set forth in this manual by an authorized SCOTT dealer. The authorized SCOTT dealer shall confirm the effected annual maintenance service by stamp and signature. In case such an annual maintenance service has not been affected the warranty of 5 years for the frame shall be reduced to 3 years. Costs for maintenance and service have to be borne by the owner of the SCOTT bike. On Gambler, Voltage FR and BMX the warranty period is limited to 2 years.

So 3 or 5 years, but you still have your statutory consumer rights as well. Take it in and see.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Do Scott have a lifetime warranty on the frame? That's quite an odd place for a crack.

If no solution is offered yes that is repairable you need to take it to an engineering shop or someone handy who welds aluminium, luckily it's the "bracket" that's gone, fair bit of metal thickness there so should be doable. Naturally the paintwork in the vicinity will be fooked but you could sand and paint it with a rattle can.

Otherwise it's trashed, so worth doing methinks.
    Giant Reign X1
  • Thank you for the swift responses everyone. I have had the bike for about 3 years and one month, i have not had the annual service, I tend to maintain the bike myself. As it is only so minutely over the 3 year warranty would they be likely to accept a claim?
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Did you buy it brand new? Take it to a scott dealer and see, there's no harm in asking. If they don't, it's new frame time. I wouldn't fancy trying to weld it up to be honest, it'll never be as strong as it was out of the factory.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I would expect them to.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Yes the bike was brand new from evans when i got it at around the start of august 2009....

Not keen on a weld for the exact reason that you have stated, wouldn't quite feel safe off road knowing about a weak point.
  • It obviously already had a weak point - what's to say a decent weld wouldn't be stronger! Much better to get a free replacement though....
  • Not to dash your hopes but my mate had a similar problem on a Scott spark and got nowhere.

ETA: nothing to do with Evans.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500