Glasses

iluvstaffies
iluvstaffies Posts: 34
edited September 2012 in MTB buying advice
Now I'm getting my confidence up on the trails and am going quite a bit faster I am starting to understand why people wear glasses while riding. I have lost count of how many flies I have had in my eyes and also my eyes tend to water a lot with the wind, so I could do with some protection.

Can I just buy any old sunglasses or are cycling specific ones better? Any recommendations would be great :D

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Have a look on Ebay for Bolle safety glasses. Like
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from= ... lle+silium

Cheap, work, look ok, and made to standards.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad wrote:

Hi Cooldad, do you have those one? If so are they very comfortable to wear? I have got the Spider one and need replacing (scratched lenses), but your ones are a bit cheaper!
    JC
    Pédale ou crève
    Specialized Elite Allez with 105
    Rockrider 8.1 : )
  • cooldad
    I do and they are. I don't normally wear glasses much, just if it's very insecty or very cold, but my son swears by them and wears every ride.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad wrote:
    I do and they are. I don't normally wear glasses much, just if it's very insecty or very cold, but my son swears by them and wears every ride.
    OK thanks, will order a pair to replace the Spider
    JC
    Pédale ou crève
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    Anybody tried these? Even better, has anyone ordered from them as well? I know they're available for a few quid cheaper elsewhere but this seller seems to be the best rated plus they sell persimmon lenses as well.

I'm pretty sure I've tried proper Jawbone's (I've tried one or two sets of Oakley's on anyway and I think one of them was a set of Jawbone's) and liked the fit of them which is why I'm looking at them. Never really got on fully with the fit of my Bolle's for riding, great for casual use though. Don't get on with other cheap riding glasses like Endura's or anything either.
  • I have the jawbones from deal extreme http://www.dealextreme.com/p/cycling-bicycle-lens-glasses-with-carrying-pouch-black-yellow-100940 I was very impressed with the case and everything that came with them and the glasses seem reasonable quality for the price. Both the black and yellow lenses are very good on bright days and low light conditions respectively and they fit securely.
  • peter413
    They're probably the same so thanks for that. Still going to get the Ebay ones though, I like the black and red much better than black and yellow.
  • Yer i didn't know you could get them off ebay otherwise i probably would have. They will also come much quicker.
  • peter413
    Doubt it, they're still from China.

Just out of interest, how long have you been using yours? I've seen some people have problems with theirs falling apart very quickly. And what's the other lens like? Some people seem to complain of you seeing lots of different colours through the lens and there being a lot of distortion with all of them.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    These are the ones I use most they are a bit more than the Bolle but dont seem to scratch as easy and dont distort around the edge. Super fast delivery mine arrived next day Kontrol GelShock
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • bartimaeus
    bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
    My vote goes for the Bolle Axis as these have adjustable arms - you can rotate the arms up so they grip the harness of your lid rather than behind your ears. They also come in clear, and 'smoke', but I prefer the 'contrast'. Also useful as safety glasses when working in the garden or trailbuilding!
    Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
    Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
    Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building
  • al2098
    al2098 Posts: 174
    I always get Sunwise glasses.
    They look OK.
    They are cheap.
    The nose rests are very tacky and stay on when others slip off in the sweat.
  • peter413 wrote:

Just out of interest, how long have you been using yours? I've seen some people have problems with theirs falling apart very quickly. And what's the other lens like? Some people seem to complain of you seeing lots of different colours through the lens and there being a lot of distortion with all of them.

I had a pair from China. Compared to the real ones the fakes are quite remarkable. The main differences for me were the jaw hinges and the fact the rubber doesnt get sticky when you sweat. The hinges were quite loose but aside from that they looked real. My main worry with them was and is lens quality. Eventually i gave them to my brother and went back to my Bloc ones.

For the price you pay they are worth a punt, but you cant be sure if they are UV safe or not.
  • Can I just buy any old sunglasses or are cycling specific ones better? Any recommendations would be great :D
    Any glasses or sunglasses will do - although some shapes are better at keeping the wind from your eyes than others.
  • peter413
    peter413 wrote:

I had a pair from China. Compared to the real ones the fakes are quite remarkable. The main differences for me were the jaw hinges and the fact the rubber doesnt get sticky when you sweat. The hinges were quite loose but aside from that they looked real. My main worry with them was and is lens quality. Eventually i gave them to my brother and went back to my Bloc ones.

For the price you pay they are worth a punt, but you cant be sure if they are UV safe or not.

I hear this UV stuff all the time. Surely it's the same as not wearing any glasses which is what I normally do or do the lenses make it worse?
  • peter413 wrote:
    peter413 wrote:

I hear this UV stuff all the time. Surely it's the same as not wearing any glasses which is what I normally do or do the lenses make it worse?

Perhaps it is, perhaps it isnt. In non darkened lenses i guess the difference is minimal as you are naturally squinting and the pupils are smaller. In darkened lenses i would assume there is less natural protection as your eyes are wider open. Again this is probably minimal, but it makes me feel happier and helps keep my beautiful face looking young and crow-foot free ;)
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Look for UV400 protection. Darkness of lens is no indicator of UV protection.
  • The fake Oakleys are supposed to be UV400.
    As for build quality, they seem reasonable, i dropped mine yesterday on a concrete floor and the arm popped off but it was easy to pop back in due to the design of the hinge.
  • I want some of these Oakley lookalikes!
    MTB - VooDoo Bantu
    Commuter - Raleigh Grande
  • peter413
    I managed to find a UK seller, cost a few quid more and don't have a huge selection of colours but still had the ones I wanted :D
  • peter413 wrote:
    peter413 wrote:

Nope. Dark lenses mean your pupils open up, allowing more damaging UV into your eyes.
  • cooldad
    edited September 2012
    And I'd be very wary of any fake (or Chinese sunglasses) as UV protection is impossible to test without a lab, and can cause serious damage because of what Yeehaa says.
    Bolle might be cheap, but do what they say.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Decathlon do a range that are pretty cheap.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • cooldad wrote:

Received this morning. First ride and I can confirm they are brilliant, no misting, very comfortable. Thanks again
    JC
    Pédale ou crève
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613

Someone on STW did a test, they were. Apparently it's harder to make a tinted lens without UV protection than with!
  • I have Avenir Smokes, got them off eBay for £15. Come with 4 different lenses and get great reviews from What Mountain Bike etc. Very comfortable and the yellow lenses are great in low light conditions.

Scott Genius MC 30 RIP
    Nukeproof Mega AM 275 Comp
    Cube LTD Rigid Commuter
    Ribble 7005 Sportive
  • grenw
    grenw Posts: 804
    Myster101 wrote:
    I have Avenir Smokes, got them off eBay for £15. Come with 4 different lenses and get great reviews from What Mountain Bike etc. Very comfortable and the yellow lenses are great in low light conditions.

Had a set of them. Lasted a month before one of the nose 'cushions' fell off on a ride. Had to bin them after that. Think it was all of the lens swapping that did it.
  • jeannot18 wrote:
    cooldad wrote:

Received this morning. First ride and I can confirm they are brilliant, no misting, very comfortable. Thanks again
    JC

I tried these as they get recommended a fair bit on here. Found them a nightmare in the warmer weather due to lack of air circulation as they are so close fitting and wrap round a long way. They just seem far more sweaty than any others I've tried. They're the last ones I'd wear now unfortunately. Shame as price was great and looks pretty good.
  • chrisw333 wrote:
    I tried these as they get recommended a fair bit on here. Found them a nightmare in the warmer weather due to lack of air circulation as they are so close fitting and wrap round a long way. They just seem far more sweaty than any others I've tried. They're the last ones I'd wear now unfortunately. Shame as price was great and looks pretty good.

Wednesday's temperature was around 17 celsuis, so not too hot and not too cold. They worked ok for me, usually i keep having problem with glasses (misting), I had a cheap pair from Pro Bike, another pair from Decathlon, both misted no matter what temperature, the best pair I had so far was a pair of Bolle Spider, but lenses are scratched a fair bit now. But those new ones have worked ok on that first ride, taking them out again Saturday, so we will see.
    JC
    Pédale ou crève