Norco Bikes.

rubertoe
rubertoe Posts: 3,994
edited September 2012 in Commuting chat
Hive mind - i am after some thoughts on Norco.

Now I am in the market for not one, but two, yes two new bikes.

firstly I am after a commuter and quite like the look of this for my 16 mile e/w trip including an ascent of swains lane on the way home (or Highgate west hill if I am feeling a bit gay) to replace my current do it all (only) bike a Carrera.

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/nor ... e-ec041260

Any thought on Norco? anyone ridden one/own one?

Not sure what I will get for my best/summer bike as of yet, but thinking something German.
"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills

Comments

• They're Canadian. We have a Norco mtb for one of the kids, which is fine, but that doesn't tell you a lot. I've seen display tents showing quite a few of their models but never ridden one. I know they sponsor some Canadian pro and semi pro riders, and I think they run a domestic Canadian team(s).

My impression is that they are perfectly good bikes, neither top end nor bottom end. Not cutting edge innovation (they won't be the company that produces a Venge/Dogma/S5 beater, for example). AFAIK they have been producing mtbs longer than road bikes. I would guess, but don't know, that there are a lot of Canadians who've grown up on Norco bikes and have a lot of loyalty to them.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Looks a pretty good, do everything bike. Pretty sure it'll be on the heavy side, but I'm surprised not to have heard of it before. Good to see more manufacturers doing road disks too. There was someone considering a Jamis Bossanova, which is a steel version of the above.

Evans should be able to get one in for you to try.
  • That model looks like a good equivalent to a Croix de Fer. If it were me, I would check to see if the frame is butted and whether I could get mudguards on it. At £700 it WILL be heavy, though.

I used a Norco steel (753?) mtb a number of years ago. Sadly not my bike, but it was a great frame. Norco are probably outsourcing manufacture, like everyone else, but they are a solid go-to brand in Canada with plenty of experience working with steel for offroading. So there is no reason you shouldn't trust this brand any less than Kinesis, Genesis, etc.