Numb bits.....!

J1mmys
J1mmys Posts: 50
edited September 2012 in Road general
Hey,

Strange one this but here i go...After completing a 45 mile sportive today on my new SuperSix ive got numb well lets just say gentlemens bits. Ive seen these saddles with the cut out bit in the middle, is this what people would recommend? The saddle ive got now is a prologo stratch pro.

Thanks

Comments

• DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    J1mmys wrote:
    Hey,

Strange one this but here i go...After completing a 45 mile sportive today on my new SuperSix ive got numb well lets just say gentlemens bits. Ive seen these saddles with the cut out bit in the middle, is this what people would recommend? The saddle ive got now is a prologo stratch pro.

Thanks

HI Mate,

I really used to suffer with this as well. I got the specialized saddle with the cut out and it all went away. You need to sort this out ASAP as it could cause perm damage. I have the Toupe Pro black on my race bike but there is a cheaper more padded version called the avatar gel which I have on my training bike...http://www.evanscycles.com/products/spe ... e-ec008410

Saddles are a personal thing but these are the ones that eliminated that issue for me.

Another point to mention is to make sure you're sitting on your sit bones, it may take some getting used to if you're used to sitting on your fleshy parts (and will be uncomfy for a while) but it becomes second nature in the end.
  • Thanks mate for confirming my suspicious. Thanks for the recommendations, ideally id like a white one to suit the bike, came across this after googling the one you said. http://www.evanscycles.com/products/specialized/romin-comp-gel-road-tri-saddle-ec028207?utm_source=froogle&utm_medium=froogle&utm_campaign=froogle#BVRRWidgetID

Thoughts? hmmm.....
  • J1mmys wrote:
    Thanks mate for confirming my suspicious. Thanks for the recommendations, ideally id like a white one to suit the bike, came across this after googling the one you said. http://www.evanscycles.com/products/specialized/romin-comp-gel-road-tri-saddle-ec028207?utm_source=froogle&utm_medium=froogle&utm_campaign=froogle#BVRRWidgetID

Thoughts? hmmm.....

Ive got three of these and they suit me. Just make sure you get the right width for you...

A
    Alistair

Best Weather Bike - Time ZXRS
    Summer Road Bike - Pinarello FPX Dogma
    Winter Road Bike- Colnago E1
    Being Dismantled - Sintesi Blade
    Mountain Bike - Sold them all....
  • karlth
    karlth Posts: 156
    When I were nobbut a sprog (well, 14) I did a YH tour (back when you could stay at a YH on your own at that age) - first time I'd ever done more than ride to school, and we did 65 miles the first day.

The pain the first time I took a slash at the end of it will live with me.

I'm glad they have those grooves now.
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    Trying to find the right saddle for you, maybe with a cut out or not, will be worth the effort. Just another thought - are you wearing bib shorts for these rides? Using a chamois cream?
  • Adamo saddles - takes a bit to get used to as they are one of the few saddles that force you to sit on your sit bones and not rest on your perineum.
  • Yes i wear padded bib shorts, also wore a padded boxer too so double padding. No cream. QUestion is how do i find the saddle and how do i know what size to go for?
  • J1mmys wrote:
    No cream. QUestion is how do i find the saddle and how do i know what size to go for?

A few options:
    1. trial and error - using the Saddle Swap thread in Road Parts is a much cheaper way of trying new saddles (the route I took)
    2. go to a Specialized BG Centre and they can measure your sit bones (I think other companies are doing this now as well)
    3. measure your own sit bones and there are threads on hear explaining how.

Good luck and it's well worth it in the end.

A
    Alistair

Best Weather Bike - Time ZXRS
    Summer Road Bike - Pinarello FPX Dogma
    Winter Road Bike- Colnago E1
    Being Dismantled - Sintesi Blade
    Mountain Bike - Sold them all....
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Of the three bikes I have, the only one that causes any pain is the one with the cut out. Far better to do some try and buy with different saddles including with and without cut outs. The other thing is what length rides have you previously been doing? is this pain just because you weren't used to being in the saddle for two hours or more?
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • I measured my sit bones and there 130mm. Which sounds correct based on the sizes i saw as im quite lean. I went to my local bike store (Alf Jones) and they do a deal on Fizik saddles. You pay them £10 and they have a choice of 9 saddles you can loan for a week at a time until your happy then the £10 goes off the one you buy. The one ive picked up is a Fizik Alitane Versus, fitted it adjusted to tilt forward slightly and feels better on first sit. Long ride planned for next sat with my mate so see how i get on then.
  • I had this badly today.

Did 44 miles on a sportive, and it was extremely uncomfortable and numb downstairs by the time I reached the finish line.

Have been persevering with the factory saddle since I got my bike in late July, but I think the time has finally come to replace it. I've given it ago, I've tried to get comfy on it but it just isn't that comfortable/adept to my physique I don't think.

I try my best to sit on my sit-bones on a ride, but always slip onto my perineum every 5-10 minutes of riding which means I then have to adjust, reshuffle myself on the saddle.

Going to go to Evans/my LBS tomorrow and have a look and see if they do any deposit/30 day no-quibble refund schemes which means I can try one or two out and see how I get on.
  • mmuk
    mmuk Posts: 398
    Yes i wear padded bib shorts, also wore a padded boxer too so double padding.

if you sit on your sit bones your perineum will still be under pressure from the double padding - you shouldn't need more than the the shorts alone

Also, make sure your saddle is level.

MM
  • Surely a slight tilt forward it better to encourage sitting on sit bones? Ass at the back of the saddle then ?
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Saddles and positioning in a personal thing but generally:
    - start with your saddle in a horizontal or slightly forward tilting position
    - saddle fit is very personal so see if you can try some out
    - bike shorts are meant to be worn without underwear or anything else added
    - I had numb bits problem on my previous saddle, I reckon it was too wide. Now use a Selle Italia Flite Gel Flow saddle which works a treat (and available in many colours including white) - it may work well for you too, but as I already said twice its a personal thing.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • Just put a deposit on a Specialized BG Romin Evo Expert at my LBS.

They had a sit-bone measure there which measured my sit-bones and they came in at 12.5cm (125mm) so surprisingly (I've got a bloody big arse) I needed the smallest saddle.

Hopefully get it Thursday/Friday so I can give it a good run for its money on the Cake Quest on Sunday :)