1st puncture... not what I expected!!!

fgaffney
fgaffney Posts: 49
edited September 2012 in Road beginners
As the title says I had my first puncture today and it was far from what I expected so I'm wondering if it was the norm? I was riding at around 15mph on some decent tarmac when my rear tyre basically exploded as if a gunshot had gone off. When I stopped to check things this is what I found

004.jpg

Not only was my tube destroyed but the tyre was split right along the rim. I always carry spare tubes and tools however the tyre was completely knackered so I'm wondering instead of carrying two tubes should I now be carrying one tube and one fold up tyre?

My pressure was set at 100psi and the tyre wall recommended a maximum of 116psi so what went wrong?

I'm off to get another couple of tyres tomorrow and as I'm reluctant to replace the Michelin Lion 2 with the same again I'd welcome any alternative suggestions that won't break the bank?

Thanking you in advance...

Comments

• Your brake block has rubbed the tyre until it split. You'll need to realign it once you've fitted a new tyre.
  • turnerjohn
    turnerjohn Posts: 1,069
    Your brake block has rubbed the tyre until it split. You'll need to realign it once you've fitted a new tyre.
    ^ what he said !
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    Your brake block has rubbed the tyre until it split. You'll need to realign it once you've fitted a new tyre.

Always a simple reason why things happen ... so now you know for next time..
    going out equipped with a minimart of spare parts is not the answer.
  • fgaffney
    fgaffney Posts: 49
    edited September 2012
    Thanks for your reply.

The bike was serviced around 3 weeks ago when brakes and gears were all checked over. I also regularly give a visual check just to make sure everything is in it's proper place and I've never noticed the brake rubbing on the tyre? I wasn't braking when the tyre went and the tube is split at the same place as the tyre?

I'll make sure the pads are lined up to the rim when I fit the new tyre but I'd be surprised if the pad caused the failure? Mind I'm no expert though!

EDIT - just checked the tyre again and there's no sign of any wear from the brake pad? The tyre seems to have failed just below the rim...
  • navrig
    navrig Posts: 1,352
    Check for signs of rubbing on the chainstays and loose spokes. I had a similar failure as a result of a loose spoke causing the wheel to flex and rub on the same spot. The friction softened the Tyre and it exploded on a sharp stone.
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408

Happened to me once, the bang scared the sh*t out of me :lol:
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • Happened to me with a set of Michelin after 6 miles on the new tyre.
    The shop took it back, replaced for free and sent the tyre back to Michelin as faulty. Had no issues with the replacement tyre, touch wood!
  • That's not the brake block rubbing but a simple tyre failure due to a manufacturing defect. The sidewall has come away from the bead. Lithion 2 are cheap and nasty tyres, I'd fit something better.
  • That's not the brake block rubbing but a simple tyre failure due to a manufacturing defect. The sidewall has come away from the bead. Lithion 2 are cheap and nasty tyres, I'd fit something better.

Rothers you beat me to it...

I took the tyre off this morning and this is what I found... the tube had a 2" split right in the centre of the rubber and 4" of Kevlar bead had come away from the tyre rim.

002.jpg

020.jpg

I checked all the spokes were tight, put the wheel back on the bike (minus the tyre) and spun it to see if it was true, then applied the brake to make sure it was only making contact with the rim and not overlapping onto where the tyre would sit. Everything spun true and the brake pad was properly positioned.

I'm now looking to replace both tyres with a pair of Schwalbe Durano Plus' as I don't think I could trust the Michelin's again.

Thanks for all the replies...
  • fgaffney wrote:
    I'm now looking to replace both tyres with a pair of Schwalbe Durano Plus' as I don't think I could trust the Michelin's again.

Excellent tyres - light enough not to drag too much, good puncture resistance and wear well. My winter tyres and so far I've had well over 3000 miles with no punctures and little wear.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Durano Plus is probably overdoing it really. Durano should be fine and I use Durano S with no problem. Mine have about 3500 miles on them and the rear is a bit squared off (but still far from worn out) and the mould seam is still visible on the front. I ride several bikes so not sure whether or not I've ever punctured them but most of the punctures I have are partly my fault anyway. Statistically, I think I should have had no more than one on the Duranos! I do take the glass out of them though.

Durano Plus is about 30% heavier than the lighter Duranos.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Rolf F wrote:
    Durano Plus is probably overdoing it really. Durano should be fine and I use Durano S with no problem. Mine have about 3500 miles on them and the rear is a bit squared off (but still far from worn out) and the mould seam is still visible on the front. I ride several bikes so not sure whether or not I've ever punctured them but most of the punctures I have are partly my fault anyway. Statistically, I think I should have had no more than one on the Duranos! I do take the glass out of them though.

Durano Plus is about 30% heavier than the lighter Duranos.

Thanks Rolf... I checked the weights of all three tyres and the Durano weighs 315g, the Durano Plus is 340g and the Durano S is only 225g!

I think if I was a more accomplished rider using a full carbon frame I'd go for the lighter tyre however as I'm communting at 5.30am along unlit country roads every other morning I'd be happier sacrificing the weight advantage for increased puncture protection.

EDIT - took your advice in the end and stayed away from the heavier Durano Plus' and plumped for a set of Luganos which seem to be a decent compromise on price, weight and puncture protection. Thanks again!