Tour of Britain Stage 7 *SPOILERS*

nweststeyn
nweststeyn Posts: 1,574
edited September 2012 in Pro race
Is noone watching today?

Comments

• nweststeyn
    nweststeyn Posts: 1,574
    Urtasan wins for Euskatel Euskadi... De Maar 2nd and Basso 3rd. JTL gets lots of time on Leigh Howard. Haas finishes in group with JTL.
  • Just caught the finish. I loved how happy Sammy was that he'd teed Pablo U for the win!

Rule No.10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster
  • Good finish.

Looks like JTL has done enough to win now.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    Got home just as Endura attacked. Very good finish again. JTL bossing it. Edmondson being a little star again. And top top riders battling it out for the win.
  • Nobody at home?
    Probably all out with the wifies doing the Saturday shop.
    Well, missed a great little stage: proper racing and the race's
    two big guest stars figuring in all the action.
    Euskaltel Euskadi actually taking a win.
    Fab racing on exceptional parcour, in stunning weather. :)
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Podium dolly has a good fondle of Mr House...

Quite tasty.
    All the gear, but no idea...
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    I thought it was a great stage, loads of attacking and loved the way JTL was leading the chase in the last 10k. The support out there is really good, lovely to see everyone taking an interest. I'm going to try and get out to tomorrows stage, should be good.
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    Fab racing on exceptional parcour, in stunning weather

Couldn't have said it any better. With stages like today the ToB will hopefully start to gain a reputation on the Pro circuit as a great little race.

Shame that Euskatel's season has peaked at the Tour of Britain. They could have done with Urtasan at the Vuelta.
  • Really gutted that I was busy today so I couldn't go to watch. Sounds like it was a good day. Maybe they should do all of the Tour of Britain in Devon next year. We've got 8,000 miles of roads, so plenty to choose from.
  • Drumlin
    Drumlin Posts: 120
    That was the best day's racing I've ever seen at the ToB. To see genuine top names like Basso and Sanchez really going for it well illustrates how the race has grown. And the last 20k of the course today was terrific, it's a shame the same can't be said of some of this year's other stages. Great to see JTL and his modest Endura team successfully battling through, I'll be shouting for them tomorrow.
    Would welcome company for Sat rides west/south of Edinburgh, up to 3 hrs, 16mph ish. Please PM me if interested/able to help.
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Brilliant day. Was up at pork hill merrivale climb on dartmoor. Thousands of people there and a great atmosphere. Everyone well behaved and no conflict with motorists. Highlight for me was a little tacker riding the climb with her dad, got a huge round of applause. Just got back and watched a great recorded race. Can't wait for the highlights. The scene was a bit like one of those grand tour mountain moments. Never seen such a passionate lot. And cav nearly ran over my foot ...
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    A good race. And I think for all the naysayers, JTL is going to be fine at the top level of the sport...
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,181
    Amazed this is only on page 1 still! An excellent days racing again (chipper or not, this race has been one of the best I've watched this year). Winning break with two big stars in it, JTL defending the jersey in style after Endura rode and excellent tactical race plus Edmonson again looking a very good prospect (the new JTL? ;) ). Edmonson looks a potential candidtae for the U23 worlds if he has strong support. Shame there wasn't a massive crosswing at Slapton but those hills to Strete and out of Blackpool Sands really sorted things out, I wonder why they weren't classified?
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,570
    Hopefully crowds and racing like today and yesterday and recent British success will create more demand from potential hosts and help the race grow. The UCI need to realise the UK is a big growth area and help the TofB develop from the current foundation. Its already far better than a lot of junk on the world tour.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • I think there's a fair bit of snobbiness about this race. I can't think of many one week stage races that have had as much action as we've seen this week. Bad weather, echelons, lots of attacks, breaks staying away, great scenery, as chippers go this is proper local chip shop stuff rather than McDonalds.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • Mikey23
    And I got on the telly ... Can life be any more perfect?
  • What a great stage and crowds seemed massive , it was almost like a proper race

Who said why is Basso here ? He had a full English Breakfast this morning I'm told
    The UCI are Clowns and Fools
  • Mikey23 wrote:
    And I got on the telly ... Can life be any more perfect?

As long as you weren't wearing a mankini
    The UCI are Clowns and Fools
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,181
    Meant to add well done to that Declan guy who commentated today. I think ITV have found a new man.Even Hayles sounded less bored working with him. Got riders names right, pronounced team names properly and seemed to understand the sport.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,402
    Agree re the commentator - huge improvement on Hugh Porter.

Good stage - love Sanchez squirting the mankini! :D
    What on earth possesses anyone to wear one - how much stick must they get from their mates (if they have any) or their colleagues. Plonkers. :roll:
  • Mikey23
    @squaggles .. Nope, person in crowd, although I would have carried it off a little better than those two!
  • IanLD
    IanLD Posts: 423
    Just back from air show at Leuchars and watched the recorded ITV4 highlights. Great bit of action and really pleased to see Euskaltel get a win.

Good seeing Basso up there too and crowds looked amazing. Can't do ToB any harm having a stage like that
  • nickel
    nickel Posts: 476
    Went down to Dartmoor to watch from the Coffin Stone climb, fantastic day, huge crowd and great weather!

As I was cyccling away I heard a mum say to her young son 'you can borrow my bike and go out on it a few times and if you enjoy it maybe we'll look at getting you a proper bike' put a smile on my face!

Defintely agree regarding the commentator, much better than Hugh!
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Nickel wrote:
    As I was cyccling away I heard a mum say to her young son 'you can borrow my bike and go out on it a few times and if you enjoy it maybe we'll look at getting you a proper bike' put a smile on my face!
    Wise words from Mum there. There's a few Dads that could have benefited from a similar policy.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Gb needs a pro tour level one day classic and from what I saw today, that parcours would be perfect!
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • Drumlin
    Drumlin Posts: 120
    Agree with the comments re commentary. The improvement in quality was noticeable throughout. Hugh was a world class rider but I'm afraid is not a world class commentator.
    Would welcome company for Sat rides west/south of Edinburgh, up to 3 hrs, 16mph ish. Please PM me if interested/able to help.
  • Hayles' improvement was the perfomance of the day for me yesterday! Inflection, intonation, a relaxed and informative approach. Well doe Rob!

As for the racers, Edmondson, what a rising star! Hopefully he is getting lots of positive feedback from race watchers via social media etc which is encouraging him. Hopefully he'll have another crack today.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • The Hugh Porter replacement was Declan Quigley - he commented on the Tour Series this year.

The production company who hire the commentators for the ToB are same as for the TS - CenturyTV. Not a bad idea for them to get feedback on how much Quigley was an improvement over Porter - their Twitter account is @CenturyTV
  • Good point Yellow Peril makes about Rob Hayles being so much better - probably not having to commenentate alongside Porter, that'd stifle anyone, you'd want to just tell him to shut the %^&&* up. The good news is that its Declan Quigley instead of Porter again today, I think...
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    As for the racers, Edmondson, what a rising star! Hopefully he is getting lots of positive feedback from race watchers via social media etc which is encouraging him. Hopefully he'll have another crack today.

Edmondson this year's JTL?