Anyone want a fanbacked women's pro team?

No_Ta_Doctor
No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,550
edited September 2012 in Pro race
Warning No formatter is installed for the format

Comments

• DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,243
    Me too. It even warranted my first ever tweet.
  • Been done before - Failed :(
  • Been done before - Failed :(

Doesn't mean it can't work this time.
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    Good idea, I'd be up for it
  • Yeah, I've said I'll support. Even if attempts have been made before and failed, the likes of Stefan Wyman and the others helping him run with the idea, can learn from why those failed and not make the same mistakes.
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    No.

I really couldn't care less about women's cycling. No offence intended to any fans, but it's not for me.
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Yup, seems like a good idea to me ...
  • I've got two daughters aged 9 and 11. Both are very sporty (swimming and athletics)They are full of enthusiasm after the Olympics and have so many more female sporting heroes now. As a cycling fan with two such sporty daughters it would be poor show on my part not to support such a project.

Count me in. I don't tweet so if someone is twittering can they put their hand up for me as well.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • I've got two daughters aged 9 and 11. Both are very sporty (swimming and athletics)They are full of enthusiasm after the Olympics and have so many more female sporting heroes now. As a cycling fan with two such sporty daughters it would be poor show on my part not to support such a project.

Count me in. I don't tweet so if someone is twittering can they put their hand up for me as well.

Have done. I'm trying to find you a non Twitter channel. This is early stages so far, they'll set up a proper crowd-funding system if they have enough interest.
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    Me too. Sounds like a worthwhile venture.

Have done. I'm trying to find you a non Twitter channel. This is early stages so far, they'll set up a proper crowd-funding system if they have enough interest.

Thanks Doc. I really like this idea, there isn't many opportunities to be a part of something like this.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • For non Twitters (Twits?) email stefan at onthedrops.com and he'll pick it up.
  • jonomc4
    jonomc4 Posts: 891
    I see Team Sky are very close to setting up a Womens team (or at least very keen on the idea) I bet we see a Sky female team by this time next year

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/others ... ccess.html
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    jonomc4 wrote:
    I see Team Sky are very close to setting up a Womens team (or at least very keen on the idea) I bet we see a Sky female team by this time next year

Until Sky themselves want a women's team, Brailsford's thoughts on the subject don't really matter. To really promote the cause of women's cycling, Sky would probably do more good by televising it, rather than sponsoring a team as a bit of a sideshow.
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • I'd be pleased to see a Sky/BC backed women's team, though of course you know that some people will never be happy.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • I'd be pleased to see a Sky/BC backed women's team, though of course you know that some people will never be happy.

+1
  • jonomc4
    jonomc4 Posts: 891
    If Sky have their own team - you can bet your bottom dollar they are going to show it on the TV!
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    jonomc4 wrote:
    If Sky have their own team - you can bet your bottom dollar they are going to show it on the TV!

You mean like they do with men's cycling? Can't remember the last time I watched any cycling on Sky Sports.
    More problems but still living....
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,181
    Jez mon wrote:
    jonomc4 wrote:

Until Sky themselves want a women's team, Brailsford's thoughts on the subject don't really matter. To really promote the cause of women's cycling, Sky would probably do more good by televising it, rather than sponsoring a team as a bit of a sideshow.

I thought the UCI insisted on cycling rights going to free to air channels (although I've never understood how ES fall into that category)?
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,181
    In terms of sponsors, surely it would make more sense for someone like Chain Reaction or Wiggle to sponsor a women's team? Get more women interested in the sport who associate the company with women's cycling and they'll probably be the first port of call for kit.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    amaferanga wrote:
    jonomc4 wrote:

You mean like they do with men's cycling? Can't remember the last time I watched any cycling on Sky Sports.

Elite circuit series and premier calendar are on Sky Sports. I reckon they'd stick the womens stuff that they're allowed to show on there too.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • Jez mon
    Pross wrote:
    Jez mon wrote:
    jonomc4 wrote:

I thought the UCI insisted on cycling rights going to free to air channels (although I've never understood how ES fall into that category)?

If the UCI actually stopped someone from airing women's cycling because they were a pay to air channel, that would seem rather stupid. Wouldn't surprise me though!
  • rebs
    rebs Posts: 891
    jonomc4 wrote:

You lot are slipping. Braislford pointing out about where cigarettes can lead you and no-one wants to accuse Wiggins of doping?:P
  • A successful fan-backed team would be bad for the women's sport because it would enable the UCI and others involved in the organisation of the sport to argue that things are OK, nothing needs to change...
  • To be fair no.

Womens Track is good as its in a fairly constant environment, however womens road racing is just poor to watch IMHO compared to the Mens.
    eating parmos since 1981

Canyon Ultimate CF SLX Aero 09
    Cervelo P5 EPS
    www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=13038799
  • Jez mon
    To be fair no.

Womens Track is good as its in a fairly constant environment, however womens road racing is just poor to watch IMHO compared to the Mens.

Personally, I don't think I have watched enough women's cycling to come to this conclusion. Certainly, the World's last year was a bit of a snorefest, before I had to go off and do something and miss the finale! But that was due to the course. I thought the women's Olympic RR was better than the men's if anything.