grease for BB install

arthur_scrimshaw
arthur_scrimshaw Posts: 2,596
edited September 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Morning!

Just about to fit a new BB on my rockhopper (octalink) - is is ok to use normal grease (Weldtite TF2 with teflon surface protector (?)) or should I pop down to the LBS form some copper grease? Also where to apply, I was just going to put it on the threads. Park says grease is ok but anti seize paste better.

what's your experiences?

TIA

Comments

• benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Normal grease will be fine. Just dont wait 20 years before you take it out again.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • cheers for the reply, that's made life easier
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Copper grease or Anti sieze grease from a car parts shop. Its the copper particles in the grease that are the important bit the grease is just a carrier. The copper particles are sacrifical anodes that prevent Galvanic corrosion http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galvanic_corrosion I have spent too many hours in the workshop attacking bottom brackets that dont want to shift to ever use anything other than copper grease. You might get away with it using normal grease but in a couple of years time when you are wondering how to get hold of a scaffold pole on a Friday night to shift the BB you might regret not using copper grease.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Any grease is fine. So long as you make sure it stays greased. 2 years is a long time to leave a BB in a frame, I tend to have mine out once every few months for one reason or another and grease it then. Never had a problem.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • raldat
    raldat Posts: 242
    I like to pull mine out twice a year as part, of a regular service. Keeps everything clean and nice. Only takes an hour or so to pull it all apart and grease, but then i like to doddle around doing it over a beer or two on a Sunday afternoon so you could probably do it in 15 min if you wanted to! I re-grease all the treads etc, as I go.

Normal grease (I use finish line Teflon) is just fine and nothing ever sticks for me.