First Idiot Motorist Encounter

dee4life2005
dee4life2005 Posts: 773
edited September 2012 in Commuting chat
Took up cycling about 5 months ago, and have now cycled just over 3100 miles. About 80% of that has probably been on roads and in that time I've never really had a problem with motorists. Sure, there's been the odd one that'll pass too close, or pass on a solid white on a blind bend - but that's nothing compared to the idiot I encountered tonight, thought I was definitely coming off the bike.

Two lanes approaching a roundabout, both of which go straight on. I was in the left lane, no cars in front, and was approaching at about 26 mph as the wind was behind and I'd started to slow down a little to about 20 as the roundabout was clear from the right. I'd checked over my shoulder to check what the traffic behind was doing and it was safe to take up primary road position, so I did.

About two seconds later, the car immediately to my right decides that it likes the look of my lane better than his and changes lanes (quickly) without indicating. Luckily I was already on the brakes and saw him out the corner of my eye, so yanked the brakes on feathering them slightly to avoid going over the bars - back wheel still lifted off the ground slightly !! I ended up with about 6 inches of room, and was level with his fuel cap when he eventually stopped - and not because he'd finally seen me, he was just one of those drivers that seems to stop at roundabouts for no reason apparently.

I gave a few shouts but he completely ignored me, despite having his windows open - perhaps it was because of the profanity, but when you get a fright light that its a natural response, right ?

It was a shed of a car as well, a W reg Ford Puma, so my road bike was probably worth over three times what his car was and having had it less than a month I would have been gutted if I'd been knocked off, and it seemed like it was close.

What more can you do though - wearing a high-vis bright yellow jacket, 3 fixed / blinking rear lights and frequently looking over shoulder to see what the traffic is doing ...

Is this sort of thing common, or likely to get more frequent as the nights darken - it's 5:30 - 6:30pm I'd be commuting home, so just miss the worst of the rush hour where I am.

Comments

• SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Welcome to the jungle, we've got fun and games.....

Very impressive mileage fella!

Yup, you'll meet them now and again. F*ck 'em.

Best response I ever heard was the guy on here that reached in through the winxdow, removed the ignition keys and chucked them in the hedge. Ledgend.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • jejv
    jejv Posts: 566
    I'm sorry that happened to you.
    It happens. You did OK. You were aware of what was happening.
    It happens more down South.
    - Round Edinburgh & Glasgow.
  • You must have been blessed by angels up until now my friend. 3100 miles and no 'WTF?!!!!' incidents is very, very good!

Anyway, glad to hear you're OK. Some motorits, pedestrians etc are ignorant of what bikes can ie that thay they can go 30mph+ on a flat, can easily bypass stationery traffic because of their size, but can be very vulnerable in certain situations. Without meaning to jinx you, inidents like this are an occupational hazard when cycling in the city, but you just get used to it. My spidey senses are always - and I mean always - looking out for things even if I'm on a wide, clear road, with no parked cars at 5.30am on a bright morning (ahhhhhh, my utopia) getting in a few miles.

I'm not sure how bad/congested Dundee is, but if you want an experience that will last a lifetime you should try cycling in Tooting or Kennington in London. The crazy fools you'll come across in these areas is simply mind boggling. It actually might be good training because it will prepare you for anything!
    Reporter: "What's your prediction for the fight?"
    Clubber Lang: "Prediction?"
    Reporter: "Yes. Prediction"
    Clubber Lang: "....Pain!!!"
  • I've done 3300 miles this year and have had two incidents where a motorist has intentionally broken the law to get past me. Once getting over taken doing over 30mph in a 30 zone, once getting under taken on a single lane slip road off a bridge. There was getting abuse off a granny mobile too but they were just old and ignorant, thought I should stay in within 3 foot of the curb, I told them it's not the 1940s anymore.

What you describe doesn't sound intentional, just ignorant, intoxicated or idiocy so it could have been worse. If the driver noticed you and thought 'opps' you will have educated them so hopefully there wont be a next time or worse time.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.