Boardman dodgy forks / service

kirby700
kirby700 Posts: 458
edited September 2012 in MTB general
Just some opinions please on best action.

Team Fs boardman (6 weeks old) with Sector TK forks. Brilliant bike but forks have started clicking on compression.

Rode past Halfords and popped in to show them / hear problem and they contacted sramtech for advice. They applied coppaslip to top cap? bolt and it seemed to go away for a an hour or so.

So, contacted them last week to book bike in for 6 week service and explained I needed bike for trip to Dalby. They explained that they would either try to fix by cleaning and giving the installation a good looking at or return the forks to sram for service on monday morning.

Monday night I rang them and they said it was all done and was ready to pick up.

Tuesday night went to pick up and stilll not fixed, they still click. I did have a moan about it and the fact no one rang and seems they havent even tried.

They hav offered to put new forks on but seem to memessing me about now as " the replacement bike with your forks on keeps getting lost"

What would anyone else do?

My weekend Dalby session with 20 others is in doubt now and I want my £1000 bike back working!
GIANT XTC 2.5
BOARDMAN TEAM FS - NOW GONE
NUKEPROOF MEGA TR 275 COMP
YT INDUSTRIES CAPRA

Comments

• Clicking is a noise not a notchiness in the compression?

Does it effect the use of the bike?

If not lodge your complaint with Halfords in writing noting what has been doen to date and ride bike as is - if it gets worse/has further issues you are covered that they had had fair warning/attmpts to fix it.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • The fork feels fine but just clicks like mad. Even I five year old passed comment "whats the noise daddy?"

The noise drives me up the wall but I am worried that there is something amiss with it.
    GIANT XTC 2.5
    YT INDUSTRIES CAPRA
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    You sure it is the fork? Not the headset? Does it change with damper adjustments? is it an air or coil fork?
  • It certainly sounds & feels like the forks. It can be felt slightly thru the grips. I tried altering the damping speed and lowered the pressure 20psi to try. They agreed it was the forks when compressed off the bike
    it clicked.
    GIANT XTC 2.5
    YT INDUSTRIES CAPRA
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The solo air valve does make a slight click at the top of the travel as the chambers equalize - you may be feeling that, but without me seeing the fork I can't be sure. I'd take to a RS dealer for a look.
  • I'd be tempted to pull the front end apart, grease and put back together, check bolts and so on for tightness, if you can feel it through the grips as a clicking but doesnt effect the operation of the fork it sounds possible it is something int he way the bike was built up (and since its a boardman built by a halfords employee there is a 50% chance it wasnt done perfectly).
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • Well it looks like I need a huge slice of humble pie, they rang at 3.30 today and said the bike was ready for pick up with new forks.

Took the bike out and completly fixed, it even behaves slightly better and feels plusher.

Now whether it was the headset or forks I guess I'll never know.

But thanks to Halfords for sorting this out.

thanks for advice
    GIANT XTC 2.5
    YT INDUSTRIES CAPRA
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Should make above post a sticky for the next random Halfords are the antichrist thread.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • halfords staff can be clueless about bikes but i cant fault my service with them. i took my comp back twice with bb clicking and on second visit i complained about paint chipping off around the allen bolts for water cages and a little rust started on the steel inserts. i expected new frame as bike was 3 months old but they ordered me a new bike instead so cant complain.
    Boardman comp 2012
  • i have always thought halfords were good but watched them fit new bb30 bearings to my hardtail pro with a hammer and a flattened headed center punch!! will be doing it myself next time as i have found a cheap bearing press on fleabay. he put washers on the wrong way too. i did point this iut but he said it was right so checked on net when i got home and he was wrong. took it apart myself at home and put it right.
  • DannyUK
    DannyUK Posts: 106
    Hi all,

Just wanted say to that it appears the Team FS has had re-occurring problems with their headset and stem creaking/ clicking (The un-official word.. On the street? As the kids say..)..

Just requires removing and oiling the parts.. Should be fine once oil has been applied and parts tightened.
    All the gear, loads of fear...
  • You would of thought they'd of just greased it then if thats the "word" which I'm sure is spot on.
    I do worry though, I have just spent all this afternoons ride re-adjusting my rear derailleur after they have had there hands on.
    I dont have a problem with halfords at the minute but you would expect a little more care. And I do have misgivings about the manager that runs the bikehut near me especially as he was the one that passed the bike off as ok and never rang me.

There is one lad thats works there who seemed to be really switched on so I'll give him a bell tomorrow.
    GIANT XTC 2.5
    YT INDUSTRIES CAPRA
  • I'd be tempted to pull the front end apart, grease and put back together, check bolts and so on for tightness, if you can feel it through the grips as a clicking but doesnt effect the operation of the fork it sounds possible it is something int he way the bike was built up (and since its a boardman built by a halfords employee there is a 50% chance it wasnt done perfectly).

There isn't alot to build on the Team FS, I got mine boxed to build myself and all that needs doing is putting the pedals, seat post, front wheel and handlebars on. Other than that a quick tweak of the gears and you're off! Pretty simple stuff really.
    2012 Boardman FS Team
    2014 Giant Defy 2
  • mmm..... mine has just started making a slight click when standing on pedals and lightly compressing the suspension not sure if its the forks or the rear shock after reading this - all bolts are tight anyone any thoughts? have i got same issue?
    opinions are worth exactly what you pay for them ;-)
    2012 boardman team F/S tarting has begun..
    1992 cannondale m1000 still going just
  • Jimx26
    Jimx26 Posts: 147
    craigw99 wrote:
    mmm..... mine has just started making a slight click when standing on pedals and lightly compressing the suspension not sure if its the forks or the rear shock after reading this - all bolts are tight anyone any thoughts? have i got same issue?

Seatpost?
  • fraid not i does it when im standing :s
  • @craigw99: Mine was the same, only when out of the saddle. I did however go hope and add coppa slip on seat post, seat bolt threads and pedal threads to ensure no issue with these before realising it was the forks / front end. The clicking is quite loud as I said earlier, everyone I ride with could here it.
    GIANT XTC 2.5
    YT INDUSTRIES CAPRA
  • many thanks looks like i'll be going back to halfords
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    What BB has it got? The BB30 ones can creak pretty loudly. I took my CX back to Halfords once and the noise came back, so then I took the cranks out, put grease on the bearings and spindle and then put it back together and had no problems since.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • It has "FSA Mega Exo" bottom bracket, I was thinking mine was bottom bracket area but since the replacement forks, all good.
    GIANT XTC 2.5
    YT INDUSTRIES CAPRA