stuck Hollowtech II bottom bracket cup

luv2ride
luv2ride Posts: 2,367
edited September 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi. Having a bit of a problem getting the external bottom bracket cup off my frame. Non drive side crank came off no problem, drive side crank also. Using an xTools External BB removal tool (spanner type) but the BB cup doesn't want to shift. All the videos show this as being a simple task - are there any tricks I should try?

Unfortunately the tool handle isn't very long so not a huge amount of leverage available ( had to return the Park tools version as the full ring spanner fouled the lower pivots on my Stumpy FSR).

cheers
Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...

Comments

• ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Don't forget, the drive side BB cup is reverse threaded, so needs to turn clockwise. The non-drive side has a normal thread. Other than that, just use plenty of elbow grease.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Give it some gentle love taps with a hammer - a little shock can shift things. Also make sure you are removing it the right way, the two sides have opposite threads. See little arrows.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • luv2ride
    cool I'll have another go. any danger in giving it too much "welly"?
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    If you're turning it the right way, not really, but short sharp taps work fine, just to get an initial tiny bit of movement, then they'll come off easily.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • luv2ride
    Thanks guys. It needed quite a few hard knocks to get it free in the end. I'll put that one down to experience. Think I won't attempt to fit the new BB and double crankset tonight - save that excitement for tomorrow!
  • ilovedirt
    Just remember to clean and then grease the BB threads when you fit the new cups. It's worth removing and cleaning/greasing them every so often. I usually have my bike apart every few months so I just do it then.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • luv2ride
    Can you recommend a good quality grease for that? Am I likely to be able to get it t Halfrauds? cheers
  • luv2ride
    sorry, meant to say I have some Weldite TF2 Teflon bike grease (it's red!) - that sound ok for the new BB?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    better than nothing.

be aware some tools will just cut a grove in a stuck BB cup. the socket type are better than the ring or C shaped.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Luv2ride wrote:
    sorry, meant to say I have some Weldite TF2 Teflon bike grease (it's red!) - that sound ok for the new BB?

That grease is actually very good - I bought some when I needed some in a hurry, but turns out it works well.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • ilovedirt
    Any grease is fine as long as you make sure to keep it greased every few months.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5