Rochdale, West Yorks area

kamil1891
kamil1891 Posts: 658
edited September 2012 in MTB rides
Hi all,

I live in Rochdale and have been road riding for more than a year now. However, I've just purchased a MTB for more recreational rides and XC stuff and winter usage too. I've been on it twice and once I went up the Blackstone edge offroad and followed the route around the reservoirs but finally I got lost and have been struggling all the way to Mankinholes on the route that wasn't rideble (at least by me). Today I went up the Rooley Moor, the weather was pretty bad, but I've enjoyed this route. However, on the downhill section I think I took the wrong way and again found myself on a proper DH stuff and had to walk in a rain, mud, down 30%+ sections with a bike :D

My question is whether anyone knows something more suitable for an XC beginner like me without nothing too serious. Just gentle offroad riding, fire roads or single track and I would like lots of climbing (something like Rooley Moor or Blackstone edge offroad would be nice) but only if it leads to a safe way downhill too :)

I would really appreciate some advices on routes etc. Thanks in advance :)

edited: I'm also aware that I've got Lee Quarry not far away but I think I will progress onto that when I get some better skills as I've heard that technically it's pretty difficult :D

Comments

• Plenty cross country near you Mary Townley loop for instance of which Rooley moor is a part. Try Whitworth to Calderbrook then drop down to the canal and back towards Rochdale. Just Google the map and print it out or look at Google Earth you can clearly see all local tracks
  • Thanks for your reply. I will have a look at these :)

I always look at the map first and that is how I've managed to find those routes I've already done. However, vast part of them seem not to be suitable for my skills/bike etc even though they seemed fine on a map. :D

edit: Mary Towneley loop looks brilliant for my needs :)http://www.sharemyroutes.com/routes/Uni ... llery.aspx
    some sections seem not to be the friendliest if wet but I should be able to handle that, distancewise and climbingwise would be challenging too :D
  • grant43
    grant43 Posts: 170
    lots of routes round whitworth and rochdale areas from whitworth you can go from brown wardle down the bridleways to watergrove res and then follow the tracks there to shore then work back to watergrove you can pack a lot of area into a couple of hours or come out with us sometime
    keep smiling no matter how much it hurts,commencal ramones 1 loving it lol
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    I'm going to give this route starting at Hollingworth Lake a go in a couple of weeks. The map is downloadable on the page. There's a 10 and 20 mile option.