tyres 23's or 25

pinarellokid
pinarellokid Posts: 1,208
edited September 2012 in Road general
hi i want to get a new pair of tyres probably conti gp 4000 in red and black,,(tart)

but if im going to spend that much which size is best ??

what are the advantages ??
currently on conti ultra race 25's and they feel great, but want a better puncture protection,
and a touch of red lol

cheers guys
Specialized S Works SL2 . Campagnolo Record 11spd. rolling on Campag Zonda wheels

http://app.strava.com/athletes/881211

Comments

• Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
    I would definitely go for the 25s. Better comfort and less rolling resistance in one package.
  • Hoopdriver wrote:
    I would definitely go for the 25s. Better comfort and less rolling resistance in one package.
    Um. The 23's would be the lower resistance :lol:
  • exactly,,, you two sum it up for me,,, i just cant make my mind up

should have turned this into one of them survey things.

what are the arguments for 23's in my head they would have less resistance but less suspension

25's more forgiving i am currently 117kg's but its dropping fast and i hope these tyres will last a long time

dont want to wish i got 23's when im sub 95kg
    Specialized S Works SL2 . Campagnolo Record 11spd. rolling on Campag Zonda wheels

• Has the search function gone completely out of fashion? Or most people just want everything handed to them on a plate, more like.
  • Then get 23's and be mindful of the pressures.
  • declan1
    declan1 Posts: 2,470
    Hoopdriver wrote:

We had this argument very recently. It is now known that 25mm tires have lower rolling resistance than 23s, plus are more comfortable.

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

I have no idea what's going on here.
  • declan1 wrote:
    Hoopdriver wrote:

We had this argument very recently. It is now known that 25mm tires have lower rolling resistance than 23s, plus are more comfortable.

looks like 25's it is then thanks a lot

sorry for the inconvenience Bordersroadie !!!! :roll:

• declan1 wrote:
    Hoopdriver wrote:

viewtopic.php?f=40013&t=12876059&hilit=rolling+resistance&start=20

This thread by any chance?
  • Wow that has blown my mind.... I have always thought that narrower tyres would have less rolling resistance... But I googled it......

http://www.portlandvelo.net/index.php?o ... &Itemid=58
    It's been a while...
  • Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver wrote:
    Um...no
  • Hoopdriver wrote:
    Hoopdriver wrote:
    Um...no
    Go on. Please explain
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Groundhogthread Day :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Graydawg wrote:
    Wow that has blown my mind.... I have always thought that narrower tyres would have less rolling resistance... But I googled it......

http://www.portlandvelo.net/index.php?o ... &Itemid=58

Right, I've checked this article out and worked out that the optimal tire pressures form my 23mm set up is 105psi/65psi Rear/Front. I've always had about 105psi in the back and 95 to 100psi in the front. I'll give 65psi a go and see how that performs.
    Giant XTC Pro-Carbon
    Cove Hustler
    Planet X Pro-Carbon
  • dw300
    dw300 Posts: 1,642
    You can't get the coloured versions in 25s usually anyway.
    All the above is just advice .. you can do whatever the f*ck you wana do!
    Bike Radar Strava Club
    The Northern Ireland Thread
  • Ginjafro wrote:
    Right, I've checked this article out and worked out that the optimal tire pressures form my 23mm set up is 105psi/65psi Rear/Front. I've always had about 105psi in the back and 95 to 100psi in the front. I'll give 65psi a go and see how that performs.

This!

It surprised me how different the pressures need to be between the tyres, and how low the front tyre should be in comparison to the rear. It's made all the difference to my comfort.
  • nickel
    nickel Posts: 476
    Ginjafro wrote:

This!

It surprised me how different the pressures need to be between the tyres, and how low the front tyre should be in comparison to the rear. It's made all the difference to my comfort.

65 Psi?! Hello pinch flat!
  • Hoopdriver
    Nickel wrote:
    Ginjafro wrote:

This!

65 Psi?! Hello pinch flat!
    Yes, 65 is way too low. Are you sure you dudn't read 95?
  • Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver wrote:
    Hoopdriver wrote:
    Um...no
    Go on. Please explain
    There has been a lot of scientific study into the rolling resistence of tyres by the big manufacturers, as well as a lot of recent and authoritative articles on the subject lately - notably in the Bicycle Quarterly in the US. There was also a long thread on this very topic on Bike Radar not too long ago. I am writing on an iPad and not inclined to write a long post on a touch screen, but if you look into it you'll find that is has been well establshed that rolling resistance is less for wider tyres (25mm tyres vs 23mm)
  • I've just used that chart and it says I should be at 130ish for the rear and 80ish for the front. Seems a big difference but I'll give it a try.
    Someone has said 65 is too low,will 80 be ok?
    And I suppose I had better check the tyre to see if it will take 130.
  • Hoopdriver wrote:
    Hoopdriver wrote:
    Hoopdriver wrote:
    Um...no
    Go on. Please explain
    There has been a lot of scientific study into the rolling resistence of tyres by the big manufacturers, as well as a lot of recent and authoritative articles on the subject lately - notably in the Bicycle Quarterly in the US. There was also a long thread on this very topic on Bike Radar not too long ago. I am writing on an iPad and not inclined to write a long post on a touch screen, but if you look into it you'll find that is has been well establshed that rolling resistance is less for wider tyres (25mm tyres vs 23mm)
    Who would have thought that 2mm width difference was such a factor.Maybe we'd all be faster on tractor tyres then?
  • Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver wrote:
    Hoopdriver wrote:
    Hoopdriver wrote:
    Um...no
    Go on. Please explain
    Who would have thought that 2mm width difference was such a factor.Maybe we'd all be faster on tractor tyres then?
    Who knows? I weary of this. You could always use Google or try the BR search engine if you seriously would like to know more about the topic. There is plenty of stuff out there.
  • Hoopdriver wrote:
    Hoopdriver wrote:
    Hoopdriver wrote:
    Hoopdriver wrote:
    Um...no
    Go on. Please explain
    Who knows? I weary of this. You could always use Google or try the BR search engine if you seriously would like to know more about the topic. There is plenty of stuff out there.
    I could and did. Nothing managed to quantify the difference 2mm makes to a tyres width.
  • Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver wrote:
    Hoopdriver wrote:
    Hoopdriver wrote:
    Hoopdriver wrote:
    Um...no
    Go on. Please explain
    I could and did. Nothing managed to quantify the difference 2mm makes to a tyres width.
    I guess you're just ahead of the curve then
  • siamon
    siamon Posts: 274
    edited September 2012
    Does anyone actually subscribe to this bicycle quarterly and read the findings? I'm only interested in upgrades that increase my average by 4mph.

Sounds like a load of cobblers to me.
  • siamon
    I've just measured my Continental GP4000s 23's and they are 24.95mm wide.
  • It's amazed me that in the history of the pneumatic tyre its taken this long to work out that wider tyres roll better than narrower tyres. Whether they do or not I don't know, but all I can say is that my tourer with 26x1.5" slicks appear to roll at least as well as my 700x23mm and of course at 60psi they are far more comfortable.
    I'm not getting old... I'm just using lower gears......
    Sirius - Steel Reynolds 631
    Cove Handjob - Steel Columbus Nivacrom
    Trek Madone - Carbon
  • Hoopdriver
    siamon wrote:
    Does anyone actually subscribe to this bicycle quarterly and read the findings? I'm only interested in upgrades that increase my average by 4mph.

You mean weight loss and fitness?
  • siamon
    Hoopdriver wrote:
    siamon wrote:

I suppose doubling my watts/kg and losing 20kgs would give me the 4mph but cant I just get it from buying tyres 2mm wider?
  • Hoopdriver
    siamon wrote:
    Hoopdriver wrote:
    siamon wrote:

I suppose doubling my watts/kg and losing 20kgs would give me the 4mph but cant I just get it from buying tyres 2mm wider?
    What do you think?
  • izza
    izza Posts: 1,561
    The physics explained.

http://www.rouesartisanales.com/article-1503651.html

The decision of 23 v 25's can be completely overcome if you go for a compromise - 24's! Its that simple.

http://www.roadbikeaction.com/Most-Popu ... art-1.html