blow the budget on a bike or on a bike+gear

newfool
newfool Posts: 3
edited September 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi
I'm looking to buy a MTB for my first foray into the trail world. I've never owned a MTB before as I've always gone for cruiser bikes.(stop laughing there!) I recently moved from the city to the countryside and find my cruisers as much use as a chocolate teapot! I've narrowed my choice down to four bikes. I have a budget of £500 for a bike or bike+gear.
My choices are

Voodoo Bantu
Decathlon btwin big rr 5.3
both around £350 which would leave me some cash for jerseys,shorts etc. Or blow the budget on

Voodoo Hoodoo
Decathlon rr 8.1
both around £500. I know in the end it's down to personal choice but I would like to hear from those of you who know the MTB world better than me. Cheers

Comments

• I'd blow my budget on the bike, and then spend some more....
    2011 Canyon XC 8.0 (Monza Race Red)
    1996(?) dyna-tech titanium HT; pace RC-35's; Hope Ti Hubs etc etc
    Bianchi Road Bike
  • All on the bike. The only special equipment you 'need' is a helmet, and they can be had for about a tenner
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    All on the bike. The only special equipment you 'need' is a helmet, and they can be had for about a tenner
    That's what I did when I started up, bought the rest of the gear in dribs and drabs, you can never have too much :wink:
    As long as you have a helmet, that's all that really matters.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • [stirring]why do you need a helmet?[/stirring] :wink:

Bike and lid is all you need as long as you have a pair of shorts and trainers already.

Realistically you probably want a pump, tyre leves and a puncture repair kit too, and maybe a little multi tool.

Then you might as well get a hydro pack to carry that and some water.

Oh.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    [stirring]why do you need a helmet?[/stirring] :wink:

Bike and lid is all you need as long as you have a pair of shorts and trainers already.

Realistically you probably want a pump, tyre leves and a puncture repair kit too, and maybe a little multi tool.

Then you might as well get a hydro pack to carry that and some water.

Oh.
    :lol: it's a slippery slope
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • ilovedirt wrote:

+1
    JC
    Pédale ou crève
    Specialized Elite Allez with 105
    Rockrider 8.1 : )
  • Three words;

Blow Budget Bike
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • All on the bike (plus helmet). As for tools etc these, can be picked up cheap from eBay, local car boot sales or on here if you ask in the wanted section.

Scott Genius MC 30 RIP
    Nukeproof Mega AM 275 Comp
    Cube LTD Rigid Commuter
    Ribble 7005 Sportive
  • Cheers people. Blowing the budget on the bike was my initial thought. The only question is which bike should I go for? Specs mean little to me. I've googled various components but always come up with some like, some don't. Anybody here have any personal experience with the Hoodoo or the 8.1?
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    newfool wrote:
    Cheers people. Blowing the budget on the bike was my initial thought. The only question is which bike should I go for? Specs mean little to me. I've googled various components but always come up with some like, some don't. Anybody here have any personal experience with the Hoodoo or the 8.1?
      viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12870238&hilit=hoodoo
        viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12870495&hilit=hoodoo
          viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12798218&hilit=rockrider
            viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12775784&hilit=rockrider
            Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
          • jeannot18 wrote:
            ilovedirt wrote:

+1
            JC
            I can vouch for that as well, its amazing what all the little extras add upto :shock: .Spent £650 on a bike and have since bought pump,shock pump, tool kit, mini tool, pedals, computer, lock, shorts, jersey, gloves, helmet, puncture repair kit, lights and latest purchase was 10 inner tubes. I think/hope that will be it though for a good while, well at least until I pay that lot off and then who knows what will be next.

I am only a neewbie myself but I think the extra £150 for a Hoodoo or Rockrider would be well spent. Might even save you some money in the long run as you get better fork and components that won't need upgrading for a good while if you get the bug.