Rockhopper clicking sound

sensi10
sensi10 Posts: 68
edited October 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all , my Rockhopper has developed a anoying clicking sound evertime i pedal under heavy load only makes noise when pushing hard on left pedal( up hill while standing ) which i thought was the pedals which have now been changed and made no difference i have now replaced the bottom bracket , greased the seat post tighted and checked everything and it still does it .Any ideas its driving me mad.
Its 2010 rockhopper comp

Comments

• I will be watching this thread also. Ive had the same problem for the last 6 weeks. Been into LBS and they cant identify the problem. Mine happens on the push with the right pedal. Bloody anoying. Forgot to mention, Rockhopper Disc 2006 M4 frame.
  • park tools have a guide for noise elimination. but odd clicking sounds almost never go away save by chance.
  • I have the same noise on my 2011 Rockhopper... V8 Pedals greased, BB greased, Think now that it is chain and Chain wheel wear and tear. Not going to change them at this point though.... I find the back brake squeal far more annoying than the clicking!

I have had this noise on road bikes to so its not just the specialized bikes that have it.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Clicking like that is usually a pedal, greasing it won't fix it if the bearings are shot, especilly if all you grease is the threads?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • sensi10
    sensi10 Posts: 68
    Hi , I have finally realised what the clicking sound that has been doing my head in for weeks. After renewing my pedals and bottom bracket i feel really stupid as all it was is my rear qr was not sitting properly when tightened the little spring was not sitting against the tightening cup properly!!!! How this happened I dont know lol I`m just so chuffed the noise is gone as I started to think it was the frame ....

It just goes to show before replacing things and spending money , check the simple things first !!!! :oops:
  • bonezy
    bonezy Posts: 129
    Glad you've sorted it sensi! First thing I look at when there's a clicking noise under load are the chainring bolts. Remove, clean, regrease, tighten.