Numb balls

Will_55
Will_55 Posts: 5
edited September 2012 in Road beginners
Hi I'm new to the forum and new to road cycling so appologies if this has been asked before.

The problem I have is that after cycling for half an hour or more I loose feeling in my testicles and the whole of that region. If I stand up I get feeling back quickly. I ride a 55cm boardman comp, am 178cm tall and have proper bid shorts. I have not had my bike professionally set up but have tried to do it myself by watching a video on youtube! When I did this I found that my saddle was pointing downwards, I have corrected this with a spirit level but it hasn't helped.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Thanks, Will

Comments

• Everyone is a different shape. There are lots of different saddles that are designed to solve this problem, mostly by using a channel or cutout. It might just be that the stock one doesn't suit you. Unless the setup is VERY bad, I wouldn't attribute it to that.

What shorts are you using?
  • Secteur
    Secteur Posts: 1,971
    I vaguely remember this happening to me back when I first started cycling, but it hasn't happened since - I'd forgotten until you just mentioned it! Seem to recall it lasted a month or two, and presumably settled as I lost weight and my seat area hardened and modelled to the saddle. It's related to vascular compression.
  • Thanks for the replies, my shorts are Pearl Izumi, not sure which model, one of the cheaper ones. I don't think it can be a weight issue I weigh 69kg. I'll wait and see if I get used to it and if not I'll try a new saddle
  • This also happens to me after about an hour in the saddle. I lose feeling in my meat AND two veg!!

A quick blast out of the saddle usually brings back the feeling for a short time.

I also wear descent bib shorts with a good pad in them.

Regarding my meat- I go out with a mars bar but come back with a walnut whip!! :oops: :D
    B'TWIN Triban 5A
    Ridgeback MX6
  • danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    Position issue, you are sitting on the soft tissue area of the perineum which has lots of nerves and veins in it that you are trapping, you need to adjust your position so that the weight is taken on your sit bones, and not your perineum.
  • To be honest, I always felt better with the saddle tilted slightly downwards to the front. Then I read an article on here saying that shouldn't be it's position! :?: After reading this I put it flat, might put it back down a tad- it doesn't push on that bit between balls & arse this way.
    B'TWIN Triban 5A
    Ridgeback MX6
  • danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    If you need to tip the saddle down, your position is wrong
  • Nothing worse than penile numbness!! Give it a rub... Just make sure you don't stop too close to any children or schools! :|

I did find my specialized body geometry saddle for my MTB was great and never had any pins and needles!
    It's been a while...
  • Dmak
    Dmak Posts: 445
    I used to get a completely numb penis from time to time. Very odd feeling! No probs for ages though. Can't believe I'm posting this!
  • top_bhoy
    top_bhoy Posts: 1,424
    This also happens to me after about an hour in the saddle. I lose feeling in my meat AND two veg!!

A quick blast out of the saddle usually brings back the feeling for a short time.

I also wear descent bib shorts with a good pad in them.

Regarding my meat- I go out with a mars bar but come back with a walnut whip!! :oops: :D

Good line and good to start the day with a laugh! Give that man a milky way. :lol:
  • Pru
    Pru Posts: 53
    Make sure your seat isn't too high
  • Have had a few numb chopper moments on the MTB and the road bike, but nothing repeatable. Everything still works though, so I doubt any damage has been done.
    Graydawg wrote:
    Nothing worse than penile numbness!!!
    You won't be saying that when someone starts the "Is it normal for my willy to fly off and get eaten by a badger when I eat a gel" thread.
    Mangeur
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Everyone is a different shape. There are lots of different saddles that are designed to solve this problem, mostly by using a channel or cutout. It might just be that the stock one doesn't suit you. Unless the setup is VERY bad, I wouldn't attribute it to that.

What shorts are you using?

I'm going to cast my vote for cutout saddles around 140 width(+-).
    I doubt this is a shorts problem IMHO.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    You should be 'resting' on the back of the saddle, no pulling yourself down onto the nose which puts pressure on the soft perineal tissue - e.g. saddle too high or bar reach too far?
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • I don't think it's a shorts problem, I have had the problem in other shorts and tights. I had a look at my saddle height today and I thought it looked ok, I sat on saddle with one leg in the bottom of the peddle stroke, I compared the 'angle' of my leg by looking in a mirror with a picture in an ariticle on set up in a bike mag. I even got a protactor out and checked how a 25-35 degree angle looks!

Anyway, I checked the angle again, horizontal can depend on where you place the spirit level so I adjusted it slightly. I went for a ride and it felt more like I was sitting on my sit bones when riding on the hoods but I still got the same problem. I'm pretty sure when I ride on the drops that I'm rolling forward on to the soft tissue so as monty dog said maybe it's a reach issue.
  • I would agree that's it probably not a shorts problem. I'm 5'10 and also ride a 55cm frame, and it has taken quite some time to tweak the fit. The two biggest changes I made were to move the saddle forward by about 5mm or so, and also changed the stem from 11cm to 10cm. This made a huge difference in comfort, along with sorting out the height. Since then have had no discomfort issues at all.

As other people have mentioned, your choice of perch is quite personal and there is a huge selection available. I seem to favour a fizik aliante life and use altura pro gel shorts.