Trying new saddles

wishitwasallflat
wishitwasallflat Posts: 2,927
edited September 2012 in Road beginners
Not looking for advice on what saddle as I know that's too personal but I have a few Fizik saddles for test from an lbs and I am not sure about what is happening when I ride them -

I have been trying the Aliante gamma so far and what I really like is the feeling that I am sitting only on my sitbones and not soft tissues - BUT - my sit bones get sore! They get sore but it feels like just from the pressure and nothing more sinister.

It feels much better when I am in the drops over the hoods. I ride a Secteur though and the hoods are pretty much level with my saddle height so I am wondering if this saddle is just not designed for that sit-up posture?

I am used to more padded - sit up hybrid/MTB type saddles. For the last year I have been on a Specialized Avatar gel - before that it was a cushy number from Halfords. The Avatart was ok (ish) until I started getting into longer distances (40-50 miles) and 100+ per week when it was realy uncomfortable. It felt like too much weight was on the soft tissues!

Even though the Aliante has no cut out I don't get the soft tissue problem but it feels very hard on the sit bones. The ironic thing is I kind of like that - it is a much better kind of discomfort but it is still far from comfortable! So far I have had three rides on it - one hour (punctures!!) four hours and two and a half today and I think it is getting a bit better each time but it is still sore!

What I am wondering though is will any proper road saddle be like this?

Is it because my sit bones need to toughen up and get used to this type of saddle - or - is this a sign this is not the right saddle for me?

I have read people post on here of getting a new saddle and going of for a few hours ride and not even noticing it - but - is that because they were already used to road saddles and the sit bones were toughneded up or is that what its like when you find your perfect partner?

Any advice gratefully recieved.

Comments

• I am also going through this. Someone told me about this link which I found very informative http://www.stevehoggbikefitting.com/blog/2011/09/all-about-smps/

I've just bought a wider saddle (after doing about 250 miles on a new bike). This feels better but I am still in agony by the time I get to 30 miles.No chaffing or soft tissue problems thankfully. The distances are getting longer before the discomfort, so I'm thinking I do need to continue toughening up my bones! I'm probably increasing my distances a bit faster than I should, but I wanted to do a 70 mile ride on 29th. I don't think I'll manage it at this rate :(
  • Great link rubyrider many thanks - I am now thoroughly intriguted by Selle SMPs but they are soooo expensive .....

Just did 33 miles on a test Aliante Gamma xm and while it was better intially than the gamma it was way sorer for last 10-12 miles - I still have an antares to try but I am becoming pretty sure Fizik is not for me.
  • mattshrops
    mattshrops Posts: 1,134
    people tend to tip their saddle forward to try to relive pressure at the front and put it onto the sit bones. As you have noticed the sit bones them become sore. Ideal position in my mind is perfectly level, so the pressure is taken across the full length of contact. Probably close to how you described on the drops? Hardeneing up does happen but it is very individual, some people can sit on anything and be fine, others will always be a bit sore.

The holy Grail is easy compared to the comfy saddle search.
    Death or Glory- Just another Story
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    If you can get hold of one, try San Marco Regal-e, it's a great saddle !

I'd read a lot of great reviews about the shape, so took a punt with out trying it first. Glad I did ! Whilst it's not got a great deal of padding, and that which it has is pretty firm, the shape is great; it just seems to fit. It seems to support me at all points, so pssure is evenly distributed. It's far more comfortable than other saddles I've tried, and a decent chamois makes up for the firm padding. I've been happy riding it on 60mile + rides with no soreness at all.

Obviously, saddles are a very individual choice, but as said if you can get a test saddle, or get a second hand one of eBay to try (I missed out on one for £10), then I'd highly recommend you doing so.
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    rubyrider wrote:
    I am also going through this. Someone told me about this link which I found very informative http://www.stevehoggbikefitting.com/blog/2011/09/all-about-smps/

Now THAT was an article about saddles to be proud of. Very informative and a ton of info.