GB World Champs Tactics

Pict
Pict Posts: 108
edited September 2012 in Pro race
What's your thoughts on team GB's chances and tactics on trying to retain the coveted rainbow jersey?
Does Wiggo have a chance? Why is Cav in the team? Are they going to have a right go go at it? I do hope so.
Come back with your bike or upon it.

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    No chance.

Cycling is first and foremost horses for courses, and GB don't really have anyone who suits the course who's good enough.

And no, JTL isn't good enough.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,181
    Pretty sure both Wiggo and Froome are good enough (and Millar for that matter?) but probably too knackered to get in the mix. Tactics should be to just get people in breaks and hope one sticks.
  • rick_chasey
    Pross wrote:
    Pretty sure both Wiggo and Froome are good enough (and Millar for that matter?) but probably too knackered to get in the mix. Tactics should be to just get people in breaks and hope one sticks.

Nah.

What record do they have in one dayers?
  • Pross
    Pross wrote:

Nah.

What record do they have in one dayers?

Millar has done OK. To be fair how many one dayers have they taken seriously? I can't see it happening and both lack a sprint but you can't rule them out completely.
  • Pict
    Pict Posts: 108
    I wouldn't rule Wiggo out if given strong support. Unlikely I know, but in for a penny and all that.
    He has made noises that he fancies a pop at the likes of Roubaix.
    Come back with your bike or upon it.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Surely the best tactic would be to go and see who's paying best for some help?
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Pross
    iainf72 wrote:

Ever the cynic! More realistically I can see them helping the Colombians out as they might like the bands at Sky again next season - they have two very good chances. Also, possibly Norway for EBH (shame Nordhaug is on the move).
  • Pross wrote:
    Millar has done OK.

Has he? Which ones?
  • Pict wrote:
    I wouldn't rule Wiggo out if given strong support. Unlikely I know, but in for a penny and all that.

Doubt Wiggins will ever take part in Roubaix again, can't see his team wanting to take the risk. In fact, who was the last rider to win the TdF and then take part in Roubaix? I'm thinking Lemond!
  • Pict wrote:

Doubt Wiggins will ever take part in Roubaix again, can't see his team wanting to take the risk. In fact, who was the last rider to win the TdF and then take part in Roubaix? I'm thinking Lemond!
    Which is why he might want to have a go. I read (some time ago) that the reason he shies away from these kind of events is 'cos if you come off and bust a bone your GT chances are buggered. He has also said that trying them is on the agenda one day. He has won the tdf, why not?
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • Wiggins rode Roubaix in 2009 and 2011.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • Which is why he might want to have a go. I read (some time ago) that the reason he shies away from these kind of events is 'cos if you come off and bust a bone your GT chances are buggered. He has also said that trying them is on the agenda one day. He has won the tdf, why not?

Don't think Wiggins will have very much say in the matter. What team would put their TdF champ in such a race where the best result he can expect is a finish? Don't think we'll see him doing Roubaix again.
  • iainf72 wrote:

I tend to agree. With any number of riders with a better chance at winning, try to bank some favours for next season.
  • Which is why he might want to have a go. I read (some time ago) that the reason he shies away from these kind of events is 'cos if you come off and bust a bone your GT chances are buggered. He has also said that trying them is on the agenda one day. He has won the tdf, why not?

Don't think Wiggins will have very much say in the matter. What team would put their TdF champ in such a race where the best result he can expect is a finish? Don't think we'll see him doing Roubaix again.

I'm sure he said after the Tour that he'd like to have another crack at Roubaix at some point.

I think he's an unlikely winner but can certainly see him being there at the finish. He's probably one of the few guys in the world with the raw power to follow Cancellara or Boonen's wheel.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • The way JTL is going at the moment........he's probably the UK rider with the most chance............if he can get in the mix and last the distance.

Yes Wigoo and Froome have the class...........but are they too knackered from a long hard season..........?
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    Just get in there and mix it up. This isn't one where tactics are going to win it for any of their riders.
  • rick_chasey
    If anyone reckons GB will win it I'll give you competitive odds on betfair.
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    edited September 2012
    If anyone reckons GB will win it I'll give you competitive odds on betfair.

Higher than the ridiculous odds 12 I saw on JTL?
  • I can't see the Worlds on Betfair??
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    The OP mentioned this but why is Cav in the team? Is the World Champ obligated to defend his jersey?

I don't really mind what they do as long as they actually attack the race and not just sit in the bunch all day having a nice ride around Holland.

JTL probably is the best hope. After a few seasons on the world tour he might be able to compete in a race of this quality. You never know.
  • Seeing how Cav climbed Gun Hill, he can only be going for the honour of defend the jersey.

I'm looking forward to this years - last time I was nervous the whole day! This time I can just relax and watch some quality racing. I hope we they someone in e break and let's just see what happens.
  • TBH although I am a Cav fan I wouldn't have selected him for this. As Rick says it's horses for courses. That place in the team wouldf be best given to another rider who can support our favoured options as long as possible*

Also as Iain says money talks, hopefully whoever is getting a Sky contract next season will assist.

*not as though this happens because as we know you ride as an individual in the worlds
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • Drumlin
    Drumlin Posts: 120
    On this sort of course I reckon the World's are going to be a bit of a lottery this year, anything could happen. So having Cav as a card to play is no bad thing in my opinion. Cav is also one of only 3 Britons - with Wiggo and Froomedog - genuinely worthy of the rainbow jersey, so he deserves selection for that too. Good as the other GB riders are, none are currently in the same league as those three.
    Would welcome company for Sat rides west/south of Edinburgh, up to 3 hrs, 16mph ish. Please PM me if interested/able to help.
  • richa
    richa Posts: 1,632
    At the ToB we normally here stories of riders finishing he stage and then doing another hour or so as prep or he worlds. But I've not heard it this week?

Just not reported? Not happening? No one at ToB in with a shout?
    Rich
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    Sammy Sanchez is, I think, the only notable Worlds contender racing in Britain. He suggested the distance and toughness of the ToB was good enough preparation; not too easy, not too fatiguing.