Swollen face - sacking offence?

Nick1978
Nick1978 Posts: 93
edited September 2012 in The cake stop
Whilst cycling to work this morning a wasp wedged itself under my wrap around galsses and continued to sting my eye in the 1.23 seconds it took me to grab my glasses and rip them off my face. It f*ckin hurt. I then crashed in to a bush on the other side of the road and it now looks like ive been fighting and have a wrecked wheel. Im expecting my P45 at work. Has anyone else ever been disciplined for coming in with a swollen face?

Comments

• mmm wasp sting swells things eh.....time to stick a nest down me bib shorts. :D
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,950
    mmm wasp sting swells things eh.....time to stick a nest down me bib shorts. :D

"Doctor, can you get rid of the pain but leave the swelling?"

The older I get, the better I was.

• slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Nick1978 wrote:
    Has anyone else ever been disciplined for coming in with a swollen face?
    What on earth would they discipline you on ?

Only issues I could see is if you were unfit to carry out your job (can't see or customer facing) - and then at worst you could get sent home sick ...

If you often turned up with (visible) bashes and bruises then it may be cause for concern - but not sure you can get sacked for your activities outside work - unless you manage to bring the co into disrepute ..
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    I assume you are not being serious and it is a retorical question.

You can not be sacked for getting stung by a wasp - no matter where it has stung you!!!
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    Erm no. Have you been drinking at lunch time?!

I had a mosquito bite (I think it was anyway) on my eyelid. Within 12 hours my eye was completely closed and swollen. Looked like I'd been battered, but without the bruising.

I had four days off on sick leave as I couldn't drive and needed to go to hospital on each day. I sent a pic to my boss so he knew I wasn't taking the wee wee. He was fine and told me not to rush back till it was sorted.
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • dw300
    dw300 Posts: 1,642
    I got stung in the lip in the last week .. wasp are c*nts!

Just tell your boss that it happened at fight club, but you cant talk about it.
    All the above is just advice .. you can do whatever the f*ck you wana do!
    Bike Radar Strava Club
    The Northern Ireland Thread
  • GavH
    GavH Posts: 933
    Reminds me of a story (as part of a lesson) about leadership and management I was told once.

One of the lecturers employees would come in at the end of every month, just after payday, black and blue and stinking of alcohol. He assumed that he was getting his salary, hitting the pub and getting into fights and thus sat him down to explain the discipline process that may lie ahead if he did not amend his ways. That was when the bloke admitted that payday coincided with the wife's monthly PMT, this would cause her to beat the living shoot out of him and the only way to numb the pain was to drink. The interview apparantly changed direction at that point...
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Don't tell me - they said MTFU!!!
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • Wulz
    Wulz Posts: 100
    sounds like someone forgot to record x-factor and the wife was less than pleased! :wink:

Wasps get a bad press, im quite sure the only reason they appear so angry is for getting used so often to cover up domestic abuse.
    Here`s to a speedy recovery.
    I know its not exactly fun to poke fun at domestic abuse but it is Friday lets not forget.

:D Have a good weekend
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    I've been at a new job, and within the first month had two black eyes and a bandage on my nose - took some explaining ! Was hit smack bang on the nose by a rock flicked up by a car whilst cycling on my way home, blood everywhere. Ambulance job to get patched up. Looked a right mess.
  • Dmak
    Dmak Posts: 445
    fossyant wrote:
    I've been at a new job, and within the first month had two black eyes and a bandage on my nose - took some explaining ! Was hit smack bang on the nose by a rock flicked up by a car whilst cycling on my way home, blood everywhere. Ambulance job to get patched up. Looked a right mess.

Ouch!!!

Got stung on the leg because a wasp got stuck in my leg hair, then I shaved them.

I drove into a flying warning sign on the motorway once, I should have seen it coming.
  • Nick1978 wrote:
    Whilst cycling to work this morning a wasp wedged itself under my wrap around galsses and continued to sting my eye in the 1.23 seconds it took me to grab my glasses and rip them off my face. It f*ckin hurt. I then crashed in to a bush on the other side of the road and it now looks like ive been fighting and have a wrecked wheel. Im expecting my P45 at work. Has anyone else ever been disciplined for coming in with a swollen face?

Many years ago I was asked, as a union rep, to represent some poor sod who was up for disciplinary on sickness absence. This guy actually turned into work black and blue, swollen eye, cuts and bruises after being involved in a hot air balloon crash the previous day. He was lucky not to be killed. Work sent him home saying he couldn't face the public looking like he'd been in a brawl, never mind the fact he felt and looked like shite. After taking a week off he returned only to be summonsed for a poor sick record!
    Giant XTC Pro-Carbon
    Cove Hustler
    Planet X Pro-Carbon
  • after many years of rugby i can tell you customers love a story.
    this is a great one to tell if you are customer facing!
  • Vince Cable will sort you, you shirking get. :lol:
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • GavH wrote:
    One of the lecturers employees would come in at the end of every month, just after payday, black and blue and stinking of alcohol. He assumed that he was getting his salary, hitting the pub and getting into fights and thus sat him down to explain the discipline process that may lie ahead if he did not amend his ways. That was when the bloke admitted that payday coincided with the wife's monthly PMT, this would cause her to beat the living shoot out of him and the only way to numb the pain was to drink. The interview apparantly changed direction at that point...
    I wouldn't sack him either, but I'd seriously want a word with the manager who fell for the idea that the menstrual cycle adhered to calendar months :lol:
    Mangeur
  • Looking like Bear Grylls?
    10qyssk.gif
    Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.
  • Secteur
    Secteur Posts: 1,971
    Nick1978 wrote:
    It f*ckin hurt. I then crashed in to a bush on the other side of the road

Is it bad that I would love to have seen this happen!

Seriously though, good luck mate! Hope you're ok.
  • I remember turning up for work on a monday morning a few years back. with a cracked pelvis and road rash, after a tumble on saturday on the bike, sunday in A&E, the boss congratulated me for getting there and said he would give me a raise for putting my work first, rather than laying in bed.
  • ben@31
    ben@31 Posts: 2,327
    craprider wrote:
    after many years of rugby i can tell you customers love a story.
    this is a great one to tell if you are customer facing!

+1. I went to work last monday morning with a black eye from rugby, somebodies foot made contact with my head as I was laying at the bottom of a big pile of players. You soon heal and everyday look more and more normal. One guy I work with gets beaten up for fun doing martial arts and I've lost count of how many injuries work mates have had from snowboarding or MTB.

I can't see how they can sack you if you tell them what happened, it was an accident after all. You didn't put on a kamikaze headband and get yourself stung on purpose and deliberately steered into the bush. If you work with customers (like a hotel or restaurant?) surely you can take a few days leave or employ you for a few days in a back room doing something else, where the customers don't get scared by your mangled face.
    "The Prince of Wales is now the King of France" - Calton Kirby