Japanese Kierin

oneof1982
oneof1982 Posts: 703
edited September 2012 in Pro race
A bit off the wall - but probably as "Pro Race" as you can get....
I'm off to Tokyo in December and hope to view a bit of Kierin racing. Judicious use of of Google translate indicates that there is a velodrome in Tokyo and there is racing on in December (outdoors in winter). Has anyone been? Any useful tips - as in practical tips, not "put everything on the purple guy in trap 4" ?

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    None, but I once saw a documentary that followed Theo Boss in his trackie days.

He went over to Japan to pick up some money.

It's f*cking brutal.
  • kieranb
    kieranb Posts: 1,674
    I have been to Japan a number of times but only for short visits due to work and never had time to see one. I did look into it though, my advise would be to try and get a local to go with you, if you are meeting business colleagues maybe ask them about it. It may confuse them a bit as kierin isn't really seen as a spectator sport there. Tokyo transport system should have lots of English signs and announcements but most Japanese do not speak English and I would guess that the velodrome and its staff will have little or no english at all, and will not be used to dealing with lone tourists. I have assumed you speak no Japanese, sorry if you do. You might find more advice on some of the fixed gear sites like lfgss.
  • there are some threads on lfgss about this.
  • Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.
  • It's KEI RIN!

KEI 競 for race
    RIN 輪 for wheels!

Just sayin' so when you go. People will know what you're on about.