Replacing chain / cassette - am I getting fleeced?

2»

Comments

• John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    Rolf F wrote:
    John.T wrote:
    Bloody hell. £175. To answer your question if they are just fitting a chain and cassette then yes you are. New Ultegra 10sp cassette - £49.99 and new Ultegra chain - £22.99 at Chain Reaction. I could easily fit them in 1/2 hour.

Realistically, it would be difficult to take longer than 10 minutes to do that. I'd feel guilty charging more than a fiver for that!
    I did say easily. Don't forget a shop must cover time taken to book the job in and invoice it as well. I would think more like 30 min start to finish including getting parts from stock and cleaning up afterwards. These things always take longer than you think. 10 to 15 min for the fit with everything ready on the bench maybe.
  • Wow can't believe how easy this looks.
    Link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jx9zNW7f ... ata_player

Aldi doing bike tools on 27th August
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Just replace chain and cassette yourself OP, it really isn't hard. Typical Evans BS ...... if you let them do to you, they will.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    giant man wrote:
    Just replace chain and cassette yourself OP, it really isn't hard. Typical Evans BS ...... if you let them do to you, they will.

OPs already said this once :wink:
    pibrahim wrote:
    It's actually Cycle Surgery and not Evans btw!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    jimbo0023 wrote:
    Wow can't believe how easy this looks.
    Link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jx9zNW7f ... ata_player

Aldi doing bike tools on 27th August

2013? Bit of a wait.
    More problems but still living....
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Rolf F wrote:
    giant man wrote:

OPs already said this once :wink:
    pibrahim wrote:
    It's actually Cycle Surgery and not Evans btw!
    ah right you are ...
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    SecretSam wrote:
    Right - bike shop is liable for new chain because if it's prematurely worn due to incorrect fitting by THEM then they are responsible for wear, so they are responsible for new chain. If they argue, stand in the shop on a Saturday PM or other busy time and have a loud discussion with them, you may find they change their mind.

Fitting the chain the wrong way around has no bearing on wear, only on shifting so you'll only make an ar$e of yourself trying this stunt!

Back to the OP, get yourself a chain tool, measure it yourself. As for a new cassette - bollox - you should get 3-4 chain's wear of use out of each cassette IME.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • mustol
    mustol Posts: 134
    Monty Dog wrote:
    SecretSam wrote:
    Right - bike shop is liable for new chain because if it's prematurely worn due to incorrect fitting by THEM then they are responsible for wear, so they are responsible for new chain. If they argue, stand in the shop on a Saturday PM or other busy time and have a loud discussion with them, you may find they change their mind.

Fitting the chain the wrong way around has no bearing on wear, only on shifting so you'll only make an ar$e of yourself trying this stunt!

Back to the OP, get yourself a chain tool, measure it yourself. As for a new cassette - bollox - you should get 3-4 chain's wear of use out of each cassette IME.

As I said in an earlier post, I had to replace a cassette after less than 1,000 miles. As soon as I put on the new chain, it started skipping under load on the most used sprockets, as soon as I replaced the cassette it was fine. Quality of components, riding style and environment obviously have a massive bearing. I measured the chain, it indicated a possible new chain, but cassette should be fine - it wasn't, I'm not making it up - after about 3,500 miles I'm on my 3rd cassette!
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    Shops must love you. I think you should look at you maintenance methods.
  • mustol
    mustol Posts: 134
    John.T wrote:
    Shops must love you. I think you should look at you maintenance methods.

There's nothig wrong with my maintenance methods. I clean and lube the chain (KMC) regularly (I use a toothbrush to remove any grimey bits, de-grease, wash, dry and the apply a dry lube). According to the chain wear, the cassette shouldn't have needed replacing - but it did - what else am I supposed to do? Fortunately the replacement cassette only costs £18 - so it's not the end of the world. I've got a Campag Veloce chain on my other bike - after 1,000 miles it's showing approx 1/32nd of an inch stretch - so that should be good for a while and hopefully that cassette will still be OK when I replace the chain. The annoying thing is that I decided to replace the cheap chain early to ensure the cassette wasn't worn. If I had left the old chain on - I wouldn't be any the wiser! The combination of cheap components and doing virtually all my riding up and down very hilly debris strewn country lanes obviously accelerates the wear - any other explanations? :?
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Yoinks !

If the chain was in backwards - shouldn't they have spotted it when they sold it to you ?
  • exactly what cycle surgery was this? This ones I've used have been really good...dont wanna take it to this one though ;)
  • Htron
    Htron Posts: 47
    exactly what cycle surgery was this? This ones I've used have been really good...dont wanna take it to this one though ;)

A 'name and shame' is very appropriate here I feel.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    I thought of this thread yesterday; did a major strip, clean & rebuild and as part of it fitted a new chain. The cogs were new in March, had a new chain around June maybe July at 1500 miles and I never quite got round to doing it again at 3000. The new chain went on on Friday onto a set of cogs that have done 3672 miles from new, in 8 months. It ran as sweet as a nut first time, no issues whatsoever.

How did this original conundrum end up? Is OP still around to tell us?
  • Just checked the cost of fitting a chain and a cassette at my local independent bike shop, chain fitted is £4.50 and cassette fitted £4.50. So £9 including vat plus the cost of the chain and cassette.

I can only presume the chain and cassette have a certain amount of 18 ct gold in them.