Best SH Full Sus Frame for less than £400

ali4390
ali4390 Posts: 106
edited September 2012 in MTB buying advice
As per the title really, I will be looking to upgrade from my Kraken over the coming months and would like to build a full sus, primarily used for XC and AM duties with trail centres thrown in and the option to progress onto DH runs. I have already upgraded my Kraken and until recently it has suited me fine but I am starting to realise it's shortcomings (more noticeably since riding a friend's Commencal Meta 5.5 recently).

In light of what I will need it for, and the fact I would like to keep costs down i.e. about a grand max for total build, what sort of frame will I be best going for? Having been watching the classifieds it seems like there are a few that come up around the £400 and less: Trek Fuel EX8, Commencal Meta 5.5 - are there any other ones I should be keeping an eye out for that is a particularly good bike for that price? For example, I've heard that the Meta 5.5 2008 frame is a better version than the following 2 years?

I am obviously not too fussed about having the very latest frame or shock, it would be nice to get something that I can build up into something that can do (almost) everything. And I fully appreciate I could buy a full bike instead but I don't want to, I would like to build something unique and learn along the way.

Thanks.

Comments

• styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    Cannondale Prophet
  • ali4390
    Thanks for the answer, why that one in particular?
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    Cheap, solid, ride well, not to heavy, good design, adjustable - loads of reasons really.
  • ali4390
    Sounds good, I'll keep my eye out thanks.

Any other suggestions in case not many come up?
  • Giant Trance or Reign, Specialized Stumpjumper, Turner 5 Spot (saw one for £350 recently), Santa Cruz Heckler, Trek Remedy

loads of options. Depends what you mean by AM really. Bit of a vague category with everything from light weight 140mm travel bikes like the Lappierre Zesty to monsters like the 170mm travel Giant Reign X and the Santa Cruz Bullit.
  • ali4390
    Would something like http://item.mobileweb.ebay.co.uk/viewit ... cmd=VIDESC be a good buy for what I'm after? Seems like it might be slightly expensive considering it doesn't have a shock though?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Yes, but is not a DH bike, unless you plan light stuff or easy runs.
  • ali4390
    I don't want a DH bike as the majority of riding I do is XC, a lot of single track riding in the peak district and a few trail centres! I would like a bike that is more capable of doing more difficult runs than my current steed, as the times I've done black runs (albeit at Cannock Chase) my bike was a little out its depth. I imagine a bike like the stumpjumper would be a better ride in that sense?
  • The Stumpy would be a perfect xc/trail bike for the UK. That one obviously doesnt have a shock so factor in a couple of hundred to buy a rear shock.

I bought my ageing heckler as a frame only, 200 quid with its old coil rear. I bought everything except the wheels as new from Merlin and CRC, wheels I already had. My bike came in a shade under a grand - are you plannign on cannabalising your old bike for parts or buying all the other bits? If you are going to buy everythign else then a grand may prove difficult to attain.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • ali4390
    If cannibalise the majority of parts from my old bike as I've upgraded a lot of things like wheels, bars, stem etc etc! The main parts I would need would be forks I think. I've also got a friend who is a very good customer at his LBS who gets great discount on new and sh parts which should help.
  • dusk
    dusk Posts: 583
    I've got a Trek ex8 and it's fantastic, it's been absolutely faultless at all the trail centres I've been to and even some light DH riding
    YT Wicked 160 ltd
    Cotic BFe
    DMR Trailstar
    Canyon Roadlite
  • ali4390
    Specialized Enduros and Trek Liquids pop up quite regularly, are either of these suitable? Both seem to have good reviews and from reading about them they seem like they would do the job.
  • There's a canyon nerve am frame going in the classifieds, with BB, headset, stem and headset
    2011 Canyon XC 8.0 (Monza Race Red)
    1996(?) dyna-tech titanium HT; pace RC-35's; Hope Ti Hubs etc etc
    Bianchi Road Bike
  • ali4390
    Shackster wrote:
    There's a canyon nerve am frame going in the classifieds, with BB, headset, stem and headset
    Yeah I've seen that one and would be very interested apart from the fact its a small/medium and I'm 6ft2 with a 32 inch leg :(
  • Ah unlucky! could have been perfect.
    2011 Canyon XC 8.0 (Monza Race Red)
    1996(?) dyna-tech titanium HT; pace RC-35's; Hope Ti Hubs etc etc
    Bianchi Road Bike
  • Wait. What?

Someone is selling their Canyon?! I thought they were the bestest bikes in all the world! Or did someone buy one to get all the kit on it cheap?!
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • ali4390
    ali4390 wrote:
    Would something like http://item.mobileweb.ebay.co.uk/viewit ... cmd=VIDESC be a good buy for what I'm after? Seems like it might be slightly expensive considering it doesn't have a shock though?
    What would a frame like this be worth with no shock? I'm assuming most shocks would fit?
  • supersonic
    With a grand to spend, and the Kraken to sell why not buy a whole new bike?

This for 1k:

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_165499

You'd be hard pressed to get anywhere near that good overall, even with second hand bits.

These are also capable bikes, and will take a 140mm fork:

http://paulscycles.co.uk/products.php?p ... Suspension

This is under 30lbs:

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/rockrider-92 ... ctFeatures
  • ali4390
    I won't be selling the Kraken and I don't want to spend £1000 in one go, I'd like to do it bit by bit. To be honest, the budget was only chosen as a guide for a sensible amount, it's as much about having some fun and learning whilst building my own unique bike.
  • supersonic
    Fair enough, it can be hard work, but rewarding! Keep an eye on compatability of parts.
  • ali4390
    That's the thing I'm finding most difficult at the moment but already learning things so it's all good!

What would you say is a fair price for the above frame?
  • supersonic
    Hard to say, persnonally no more than £350 with shock if in mint condition.
  • ali4390
    Thats around the figure I had.

Thanks for the help.