halfords service plan

stronginthesun
stronginthesun Posts: 433
edited September 2012 in Road beginners
took the plunge and bought a boardman hybrid from halfords . have to say it was built ok and everything seems set up correctly with no issues . but why were they so keen almost to the point of insisting that i took out the " service plan " £30 free sevicing for one year . you only need one service in a year ? and a lbs would do it better for the same or less . and isnt it guaranteed anyway ? didnt take it !!

Comments

• Good move.

they are keen because its all profit and they get the chance to suggest you ned to replace bits which will of course, not be covered by the warranty.

And it gives them a second chance ot break something they missed the first time.
  • and i guess most people dont even bother with a service ? so £30 up already
  • estampida
    estampida Posts: 1,008
    for £30 you could just about but all the tools and lube required to service

tutorials are free on youtube
  • £30 will also get you a lot of beer - which you can enjoy to celebrate your new steed! :D
    It's been a while...
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    I'm sure they get commission on these service plans. A bit like PPI I reckon...
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    you get one free check up anyway, take advantage of this and teach yourself how to do the basics.
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • I got a service plan with my Hybrid and my road bike for free as I got them both on a cycle to work scheme.

Not so much with the road bike but when I got the hybrid I was a total novice and new nothing about maintaining my bike. The service plan was great as I could drop in whenever I needed the gears or brakes adjusting etc.

I've since learned how to do these things myself but when you know nothing it's really quite useful.

Christian
  • bazzer2
    bazzer2 Posts: 189
    When I bought my bike from a LBS I got free servicing for life. I chuckled, and said, what's the crack with that, is there a clause that says I need to bring it in every 6 months for a check etc. Guy said no. So I made up a scenario that I could leave now, then bring it back needing a new headset in 10 years and they'd fit it for free. He said no. They had to do the first service, regardless, at 6 weeks (or 250 miles, whichever I managed first) then I'm free to come back when I need some free servicing. And he recited my scenario back to me with a massive poop-eating grin. Free, I tell you.

Halfords can and will charge the earth if you let them. In my experience, a LBS will run rings around them in terms of quality of work and commitment to customer service. Oh and price.
  • I think its all about the staff in halfords. I have the care plan which I paid 20 for and I've been back countless times for wheel trueings and gear and brake adjustments etc. I've found my local halfords staff to be spot on and haven't pushed me to replace parts on my bike for no reason. Whereas the local independent bike shop to me seems the opposite. I don't seem to trust what they say and they seem to not want to offer advice unless I'm spending money.
  • I bought a Boardman HT Pro from my local Halfords and was given a 3 year plan for £30. I took it in for the initial check up after 6 weeks, then left it for about another 10 months. At this point they checked over the bike thoroughly, adjusted the breaks, put on a new circlip that had got knocked off the caliper and altered the suspension pressure for me. At no point did they try to sell me anything or get me to spend more moeny. They did however ask me why I had taken so long to bring it back in as I could take it in as often as I wanted and it would not cost anything extra during the 3 years. I realise that some Halfords have a poor reputation, but my local one has several guys that are really keen mtb's and know their bikes well.
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    Its all down to the mechanic at Halfords - the quality and service differs wildly - and I know its taboo - but not all LBS are as helpful or honest as you believe from some on here.