KS I950 VS Reverb? or other layback dropper post?

ilovedirt
ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
edited September 2012 in MTB buying advice
Ok, so I've got a conundrum. I've got a bit of money, and I've decided I want a dropper post, as it's the last thing I really need to make my bike properly functional to my needs - my Ragley in my sig. Basically, I'm currently running a Superstar layback post with a Truvativ Hussefelt 40mm stem, and the cockpit feels perfect. It's just long enough, and the steering is kept nice and quick and I don't feel too far over the front. I'd like to get a dropper post with a layback, so I can keep this cockpit setup, which is why I'm looking at the KS post. I hear they're pretty reliable, and they look good and seem to provide the right length and drop etc for my needs.

Then there's the Reverb, while I'd really like one, as they look very nice and seem to be something of an industry standard now, if you will, as well as me being a big Rockshox fan (more brand loyalty than fanboyism), I'm concerned that the fact that it's inline will make the cockpit too cramped. I know I could buy a longer stem, but then I would be compromising handling and putting more weight over the front of the bike - which I want to avoid.

Regarding price, they're both within a few quid of each other on bike-discount.de so it's not really much of a factor (however the KS post is a wee bit cheaper).

Basically, the KS seems to be exactly what I need if it's a reliable post - I can't afford to have many days off the bike this year or be spending lots of money on it. Last year of university and all that.

Can anyone (particularly owners of the above posts) shed some light on this for me?
Or if there are any other layback dropper posts for around £150 that I'm not aware of, suggestions would be appreciated ; but please nobody say Crank Bros Joplin...
Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5

Comments

• Been running a KS post for 2 years now without any issue. Can sometimes be a bit stiff when I first start riding but after the first 1 or 2 drops, runs just fine, no side to side play at all. Not run a reverb but I know a lot of people like them.
    How for back is you saddle with your current post ?
    You may be able to get away with an inline post and keep your saddle in the same place, thus not compromising your overall position.
    If you can find a shop with some in stock see if you can take your bike in and just line one up to see if will work with an inline. I did this with the new KS Lev posts as they are inline but mine is a set back and I cannot make it work without then having to run a longer stem which i don't want to do.
  • DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    Have run both of these posts, both did what they should. Only comment I'd make with cable operated posts ( this applies to the ks and spesh post I have and probably all cable operated posts) is that you do need to keep the top of the post and the remote clean. If you leave them to gunk up, they will not work as well, will go stiff.
    That said, this would not stop me buying another cable'd post, still run the spesh on current bike and as long as you clean (which hopefully you do with your bike anyway) you should be fine.
  • ilovedirt
    frodo - unfortunately I have my seat right back on my post, an inline just isn't going to work.

Thanks for the feedback on the KS post though guys.
    dodge - might go for the KS post and fit a couple of those little cable oiler things, keep it well lubed. That's really the only thing that was worrying me about the KS post, but then I don't really like playing about with hydraulic systems anyway.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    You also need to keep the little button/ball at the top of the post clean, else this can jam up with crud too.
  • ilovedirt
    Noted.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5