Cycling cleats?

jkboxall
jkboxall Posts: 79
edited September 2012 in Road beginners
Hi all,

I'm new to cycling, and bought a second hand road bike recently.

The pedals on it have clips to attach cleats (probabaly the wrong terminology here!), but what sort of shoes /clips will i have to get to fit them? Below is a picture of one of the pedals!

2A1BF553-910A-4636-A289-B88DB9E7004F-2132-000000CC5374803C.jpg

Thanks in advance for any help!

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    that pedal takes a MTB cleat. so you are looking at MTB or touring shoes. or fit some road pedal.

more info here

http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-hel ... and-cleats
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    That looks like Shimano's either/or pedal with an SPD clip on one side and a flattish pedal on the other. They're great pedals and last for ever, although not the lightest. With these pedals you can proceed with caution by getting used to riding with the non-SPD side of the pedal, then get yourself some cleat-equipped shoes, and then when you're really happy with them (which shouldn't take long), swap them for some lighter pedals with an SPD clip on both sides. The cleats you need are called SM-SH51, and will fit to most MTB or touring shoes.
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • Cheers for your help chaps :D

Recieved my cleats today, fitted them, and looking forward to my first ride with them tomorrow :D

Any tips? ;)
  • nochekmate
    nochekmate Posts: 3,460
    jkboxall wrote:
    Cheers for your help chaps :D

Recieved my cleats today, fitted them, and looking forward to my first ride with them tomorrow :D

Any tips? ;)

Unclip before you need to stop!
  • karlth
    karlth Posts: 156
    nochekmate wrote:
    jkboxall wrote:
    Cheers for your help chaps :D

Any tips? ;)

Unclip before you need to stop!

Oh, you spoilt the surprise!

Seriously, though, it is worth unclipping if you think you might stop, rather than waiting until you do. And when you set off at junctions, it's not a bad idea to pedal with the toe or instep on the clipped out foot until you're clear of the junction, and worry about clipping in again once you're moving freely. In congestion before now I've done half a mile or so only clipped in on one side.

If you've not used them before, set the pedals to minimum tension (easiest to clip out) - I've been using them over a year and still find no need to tighten them up beyond minimum. If you're very strong at pulling up on the pedals you might need to, but if you've not used them before you won't be for quite a while.
  • Cheers guys :D

I experienced exactly that this morning! Left one foot clipped in and pushed off at the traffic lights, but didnt have the confidence to clip in til i was well away from the junction and in less danger of swerving and getting myself flattened..

Enjoying them though!