Saris bones on a golf- dodgey bumper?!

rich222
rich222 Posts: 56
edited September 2012 in MTB general
Hi,

I put up a post before about the saris racks for a mk5 golf gt and got some great responses. I bought one and it's a great product but I mounted as instructions say, onto the bumper lip, it seems a bit flexible to me, anyone mount just to boot lid or know if it's an unsupported bumper lip please?

Comments

• Is it the bumper that's flexing or the rack?
    2011 Carrera Fury

Earn cashback at CRC, Wiggle, Evans, Rutland, Hargroves, Halfords, and more at Quidco
  • FunBus
    FunBus Posts: 394
    ALL bumpers have quite a lot of flex, but, once you've fitted the rack properly, it takes most of the pressure off the lip (it pulls it securely against the boot lid, rather than relying on the bumper).

Just fit it, then put your weight on it and see what happens.
  • FunBus
    FunBus Posts: 394
    ....one other thing (which might be what you meant).....don't put any hooks onto the bumper directly!! Any lower hooks should go on your tow ring or, part of the chasis.

(Having re-read your post, i think that's what you meant!!)
  • dry664
    dry664 Posts: 155
    I have a MK5 GTI and use a Saris Bones 2. I would STRONGLY suggest that you don't mount to the bumper, it will end in tears. Instead you shoul;d mount to the bottom of the bootlid. With mine I open the boot and get everything roughly in the right position and tightish, then open the boot a little and slam shut. Then tighten again, stick the bikes on (I usually remove front wheels if Im going any decent distance) and tighten one last time. Also, I got the hatch huggers to replace the standard side straps as I was a bit worried about the metal clamps on the glass. Hope that helps.
  • That's great advice guys, thanks. I've had one of two bikes on there today in both the bumper for bottom and the boot lid, prefer the boot lid option it feel secure compared to the flex on the bumper. It's only high density polystyrene under it. I'd read elsewhere a while ago someone had bent the bumper lip,

The lower hooks I will hook to the boot lid and the side ones I can just get on the small bit of metal on the boot lid sides above the lights but below the glass, may opt for smaller hooks though, tight fit!!
  • dry664
    dry664 Posts: 155
    Google the Saris hatch huggers, that's what you want
  • rich222 wrote:
    Hi,

I put up a post before about the saris racks for a mk5 golf gt and got some great responses. I bought one and it's a great product but I mounted as instructions say, onto the bumper lip, it seems a bit flexible to me, anyone mount just to boot lid or know if it's an unsupported bumper lip please?
    I just mount mine on the boot lid. It works fine.
  • Popped it on the boot lid, worked amazing, no movement with only second bike swaying minimal amount. An awesome bit of kit, saw a car with a cheapo rack on had dented his boot lid, only sponge to protect metal frame !
  • I have a saris bones 3 and mk5 golf. The only problem I have is the bike move a bit too much for my liking but they have never fallen off. I just strap the side hooks under the lights and the other hooks on the top of the spoiler and the lower one too the bottom of the boot lid.
  • Just looked at the hatch huggers maybe I should be using these......