Sign for better Rabo times ahead?

rick_chasey
rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
edited September 2012 in Pro race
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/blijlev ... ff-in-2013

Staff shakeup.

If ever a team needed a staff shakeup it is Rabo.

Comments

• Just sign Johnny, job done!
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • They could sign Froome - bet he speaks a bit of Dutch...

In all seriousness, if Rabo can get it all in one sock, they're one of the few teams to have the budget & setup to out-Sky Sky.
  • Would genuinely like to see Rabo do well, but I just don't see them escaping mediocrity. Staff is one thing, but take out LL Sanchez and they don't have that many world class, consistent performers. Ten Dam was great in the Vuelta and I hope he can build on that but the likes of Mollema and Gesink will never win a future Grand Tour.
  • Staff is one thing, but take out LL Sanchez and they don't have that many world class, consistent performers. Ten Dam was great in the Vuelta and I hope he can build on that but the likes of Mollema and Gesink will never win a future Grand Tour.

Rabo have always played a bit of a long game; provided they get their back room in order, I can't see why they can't grow the talent. Gesink has always seemed a bit overrated to me, though.
  • rick_chasey
    Gesink has always seemed a bit overrated to me, though.

Doing this:

4th Overall Paris–Nice
    1st Young Rider Classification
    4th La Flèche Wallonne
    4th Overall Critérium du Dauphiné Libéré
    7th Overall Vuelta a España
    9th Overall Tour of California
    1st Stage 3
    1st Young Rider Classification
    10th Road Race World Championships
    10th Olympic Road Race
    10th Olympic Time Trial

When you're 22 is pretty good...
  • I shall rephrase that. In terms of Grand Tours, Gesink has always seemed a bit unlikely to win to me. Wasn't there a line in one of the mags about him too often being the orange dot down the road from the leaders?
  • When you're 22 is pretty good...

OK, but he's 26 now, what has he won?
  • rick_chasey
    When you're 22 is pretty good...

OK, but he's 26 now, what has he won?

Yeah, well that's why they're looking to change the management.

They do have a lot of talent and they bring a lot of good talent in, only for it to disappear when they put in a Rabobank jersey, with the exception of the odd Spaniard.
  • I really do hope they start to do well (I'm part Dutch myself...) but I'm just not really sure who with. I don't think it's just going to need a change in management, but some riders as well.
  • I really do hope they start to do well (I'm part Dutch myself...) but I'm just not really sure who with. I don't think it's just going to need a change in management, but some riders as well.

Greasedscotsman, strapping something onto yourself which was made in Holland doesn't make you part Dutch :)
    @JaunePeril

• I've said it before but Rabo are good at spotting talent, but no good at spotting winners (LLS and Friere excepted).

Gesink certainly has talent and has some decent results in smaller races, he just never seems to be able to compete with the best when the going gets really tough (Tour/Vuelta etc). Personally I think he ought to at least consider just focussing on classics (he has some fine one day results) and winning stages in GTs. Unless he finds himself amidst a particularly weak GT field in which case he's got a chance.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)

Greasedscotsman, strapping something onto yourself which was made in Holland doesn't make you part Dutch :)

Are you telling me I should take my hat off then? :(

GC43.jpg

Are you telling me I should take my hat off then? :(

GC43.jpg

Blimey Dutch aero-helemts need a re-think!
    @JaunePeril

• rick_chasey
    No worse than the Swedish helmet.

helmet-of-the-year.jpg
  • dsoutar
    dsoutar Posts: 1,746
    I've said it before but Rabo are good at spotting talent, but no good at spotting winners (LLS and Friere excepted).

I think Liberty Seguros and Caisse D'Epargne might dispute any claim that Rabobank "spotted" LLS. In fact one could argue that he has underperformed since at Rabobank