First sportive - pre ride food advice

negativelycra
negativelycra Posts: 225
edited September 2012 in Road beginners
Hi experts,

I'm doing my first sportive on Sunday, not too mental, just 40 odd miles with about 1800 foot of climbing. It kicks off at 9 AM, but what shoulkd I do for brekkie? A few weeks ago, I necked a boat load of alpen, and left straight away - felt horrible for the first 15 miles... I'm no nutrition guru, but I'm guessing something like alpen, but eat earlier? Possibly a banana at 8.30 maybe?

I'll be carring a camel bak full of water, and I'll probably chuck some vimto in a bottle for a treat. I've got nature valley bars for during the ride should they be needed, so I guess I'm covered there. I know camel baks arew outlawed by the roadies, but I'll be on a mountain bike so I'm calling it allowed =)

Any advice greatfully recieved..

Comments

• RandG
    RandG Posts: 779
    Big bowl of porridge an hour before the off, couple slices of toast, and a banana in the back pocket for half way round....sorted..

Good luck 8)
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    40 miles?

Have a big bowl with 2 x Weetabix in it and the gaps between & around filled with porridge oats (uncooked). Splash a load of milk on and sprinkle with a bit of sugar and that'll see you clear for 40 miles. Add a big mug of coffee to get your system started and you'll be fine.
  • Nice one, thanks chaps. I realise 40 miles is nowt once you get going, but I've only been riding 2 months, and still getting the hang of this food lark - only bbonked once, but I was a long way from home and it wasn't exactly fun!
  • RandG
    RandG Posts: 779
    I was in the same boat as you a few weeks back, first sportive 47 miles, was shitting it about not eating enough etc, I had what I said above and a banana half way round, I was fine, though I thought my thighs were being stabbed viscously for the last ten miles,

Enjoy and don't worry.
  • dubcat
    dubcat Posts: 754
    I am a new rider too and this morning I rode 41 miles with 2,220 feet of climbing before breakfast. I had no issues at all with bonking. I don't think you have anything to worry about.
    2010 Specialized Rockhopper
    2012 Bianchi Infinito
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    We need a sticky that says something like 'you don't need to stuff yourselves full of energy gels & bars to ride 40 miles, you don't need £100 worth of Assos shorts to ride 10 miles and you don't need to worry about clipless pedals as most people seem able to deal with them without a problem thanks'. Etc
  • CiB wrote:
    We need a sticky that says something like 'you don't need to stuff yourselves full of energy gels & bars to ride 40 miles, you don't need £100 worth of Assos shorts to ride 10 miles and you don't need to worry about clipless pedals as most people seem able to deal with them without a problem thanks'. Etc
    That nobody would read :lol:
  • pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    Make sure you have a good meal the night before.

I seem to need to eat a lot before and during a ride - remember, you'll be burning about 700 - 800 calories an hour so i find it helps me to "pre-load" with food. I prefer rice pudding (home made or tinned) for breakfast, sometimes with banana as well. I then carry banana or muesli bars or similar - I start eating after the first hour and then try to eat every half hour after that. If I don't eat enough I get a pounding headache that lasts all day. I don't drink coffee before a ride as it's a diuretic. However, other people eat ad drink a lot less, so in time you will find out what you need.

Steve
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs
  • dubcat
    dubcat Posts: 754
    You really don't need to carbo load for this distance IMHO! You will just end up feeling bloated. It is less than 3 hrs of riding.
    2010 Specialized Rockhopper
    2012 Bianchi Infinito
  • NITR8s
    NITR8s Posts: 688
    Have a pasta based meal the night before and just have your normal breakfast in the morning.

I have personally tried having different breakfasts before 100k + rides and realised that any thing other than my normal breakfast of Sainsburys Multigrain Boulders leaves me feeling s**tty and worse than I would normally be. Just wake up an hour early and try to have 2 bowls of cereal instead of one it you want the extra cals.

For 40 Miles two 500ml torq energy drink is all you would need while riding.
  • I'm a newbie as well, having only done one 100k last autumn. I normally train before breakfast and did 43 miles last week on just a cup of coffee and was fine. I had a full dinner the night before though and I think that's more important than breakfast (IMHO...)

A
    Alistair

Best Weather Bike - Time ZXRS
    Summer Road Bike - Pinarello FPX Dogma
    Winter Road Bike- Colnago E1
    Being Dismantled - Sintesi Blade
    Mountain Bike - Sold them all....