Mango Bikes

king_jeffers
king_jeffers Posts: 694
edited September 2012 in Commuting chat
http://www.mangobikes.co.uk

Spotted these guys on TV last night, looks like a good product. Anyone used them before/thoughts?

Comments

• dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Had a quick look before the website crashed. Brutally honest?

Looks like another Create, i.e. cheap, shit, colourful fixies for hipster come latelys.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • Not used them, my first thought was along dhope's lines, too...

The spec looks OK for the price- depending on what the frame is like... It'd be interesting to know what one of these weighs. You can get a Revolution Courier singlespeed for £290, which is about 11.5Kg but has an Al frame instead of a steel one. I suspect that at this price point, though, Al may be the better option...

Anyone else thinking this is mis-use of the term "Design"... TBH "decorate" would be more appropriate... It's not even "configure" ...

Cheers,
    W.
  • Not used them, my first thought was along dhope's lines, too...

The spec looks OK for the price- depending on what the frame is like... It'd be interesting to know what one of these weighs. You can get a Revolution Courier singlespeed for £290, which is about 11.5Kg but has an Al frame instead of a steel one. I suspect that at this price point, though, Al may be the better option....

Edinburgh cycles currently charging £330 for the Revolution Courier and it looks dull. Mango bikes charge around £280 inc. customisation of colours to your liking and weighs in at 10-12kg depending on options. Seems like a good deal, although I can’t find any reviews – really tempted to take a risk for a commuter.

Only thing putting me off is you can get a Langster for around £250 with carbon forks, however struggling to find one second hand in a suitable frame size..
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    The Mango ones don't specify what components are actually used, there's not a brand name in sight, apart from the chain.
    Frameset – Hi-tensile Steel frame and fork, built to proven angles and dimensions. 1 1/8” fork.
    (And this bit to cover our backs – all parts and dimensions are subject to change without prior notice but, as always, we’ll do our best not to mess you guys around)

Which seems like a way of saying "If we find something cheaper we'll sub that in without telling anyone"

Unnamed steel pipes will not have the feel and flex etc that lovers of steel frames go on about. It will be heavy though.

No contest, get a S/H Langster over one of those if you can find one.

Or get a Fuji Track new for £350 which will have a much better pedigree.
    http://www.evanscycles.com/products/fuj ... e-ec031253
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo