SRAM X.0 grip shift indexing for front mech

showl
showl Posts: 5
edited September 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
I have just bought a SRAM X.0 3-speed grip shift for use with a shimano front mech but having only just taken it out of the box I've noticed something about it that strikes me as odd and I could do with someone clarifying if this is "expected behaviour" or a fault.

Basically the indicator window is marked up with 3 positions as I'd expect but the grip clearly has 9 indexed positions such that it has to be rotated through 4 notched positions to move the indicator from 1 to 2.

Am I missing something here cause it seems to me that if I fit this every notch is likely to move the chain from one ring to the next, so surely it's a 9 speed shifter not a 3?

It also seem a lot stiffer to rotate it forwards than backwards which I can't understand why that should be the case when it's not even connected to the front mech.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    trimming function.

have you read the instructions that came with it?

for get that bit it seems they have decided to stop mentioning this.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Yup. The instructions make no reference to a trimming function. And it really doesn't seem like any kind of trimming, if it was a 9 speed rear shift I would just take it as expected behaviour.
  • Why do some people prefer front gripshift to triggers?

Answer: trim adjustment (ie over shift to derail the chain onto the desired chainring, then apply trim to remove chain rub).

Why is it harder to rotate in the cable release direction when not connected to the front derailleur?

Answer: the cam-like metal lever inside the gripshift has to hold the cable in equilibrium when it is under the tension of the FD. Only when a rotating force is applied should the cam lever move (and produce a click against the teeth along the inside wall of the gripshift housing).

EDIT:

I forgot to mention that the cable pull for the LH and RH gripshifts are different. The RH pulls a greater amount of cable per click than the LH.

I did once measure and record the actual lengths but can't seem to find that data now.
  • Thanks for the response Bikaholic.

If that is SRAM's idea of accurate indexing then it's pretty naff. Will be sending it back.

I was giving the grip shift a try because I've been having a problem with that hand and for now it'd be easier if I didn't have to use my thumb to downshift. Never was a big fan of grip shift in the first place!
  • nicklouse
    showl wrote:
    Thanks for the response Bikaholic.

If that is SRAM's idea of accurate indexing then it's pretty naff. Will be sending it back.

I was giving the grip shift a try because I've been having a problem with that hand and for now it'd be easier if I didn't have to use my thumb to downshift. Never was a big fan of grip shift in the first place!
    why it means that you can trim out any chain rub. it is called micro shift.

standard on any road bike.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • Yeah fair point. Just wasn't what I was expecting and at the moment it isn't actually mounted on the bike (just in case it was faulty and had to be returned) so I can't get a feel for how the beneficial the microshift may or may not be. Perhaps I should fit it and at least give it a fair try now I know it should work as expected
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Have the same thing on my wifes old MRX, works just fine, give it a trye...
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • nicklouse
    all sram LHD twists do this and was a very useful thing in the early day of FR as it allowed easy trimming of the front mech. many people ran a LHD twist with a trigger right.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I agree, once you get used to it, it's a useful function, overshoot the known 'good' position by one click for a fast shift, as soon as it shifts click it back for zero rub.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Actually the new 10 speed GripShift don't do this, but the LH ones are only available as doubles.

It's a big plus I'd say though, certainly not a negative, shifting is really accurate (if slightly agricultural) and the ability to trim the front mech is great. Very tolerant of crappy cables too, no real degradation until they're totally shagged!