downhill build

pesky_jones
pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
edited September 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi im starting to build a dh bike and was wondering peoples opinion on the Commencal Supreme Mini DH Frame 2008

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=76883

seems like a good deal for the price.

cheers

Comments

• ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    The newer mini downhill is a good bike, however it's not a downhill bike.
    The old ones cracked a lot, but rode well. That one is pretty pricey, I wouldn't buy one for that price even as new old stock, remember you'll have to buy a shock as well.

If you want to buy a downhill frame around that price, second hand iron horse sundays usually go around that sort of mark including shock and are pretty common. If you want a large it'll be a little harder to find (i just won a large off ebay for £300).
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Commencal Mini DH is no downhill bike.
    Iron Horse Sunday is an excellent DH bike but they do tend to crack the rear end & linkages. I tried getting a large one & they are impossible to find. Used I would look for either a Giant Glory (pre 2010 ones are indestructible) or Specialized Demo 8. Scott Gamblers are also a good used buy and ride ok. I found that buying used large downhill frames can be very difficult. If you need a large frame don't be tempted to buy a smaller one. Some people seem to think that everyone should buy small downhill frames because they are easy to throw around but that's just wrong, it will be less stable, your weight will be too far forwards & you will find it impossible to pedal in the saddle to save energy through long pedal sections.
    This is a bit more expensive but extremely good (best DH bike I have ever ridden) and the shock alone is worth £600
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=75356
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Commencal Mini DH is no downhill bike.
    Iron Horse Sunday is an excellent DH bike but they do tend to crack the rear end & linkages. I tried getting a large one & they are impossible to find. Used I would look for either a Giant Glory (pre 2010 ones are indestructible) or Specialized Demo 8. Scott Gamblers are also a good used buy and ride ok. I found that buying used large downhill frames can be very difficult. If you need a large frame don't be tempted to buy a smaller one. Some people seem to think that everyone should buy small downhill frames because they are easy to throw around but that's just wrong, it will be less stable, your weight will be too far forwards & you will find it impossible to pedal in the saddle to save energy through long pedal sections.
    This is a bit more expensive but extremely good (best DH bike I have ever ridden) and the shock alone is worth £600
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=75356
    Where did you hear that? I know loads of people with sundays and none have had those issues. There's probably a good reason for them still being one of the most common DH bikes out there, even after 3 years of being out of production.

I agree though, finding a large downhill bike can be a pain in the arse, but it's worth persevering, riding a bike that's too small isn't the best. You do get large glorys and sundays etc coming up relatively frequently though.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Rear linkage failure is quite common on Sundays but replacements are available.
    Avoid the Glory FR though, it's a different frame to the DH and the geometry is a bit off for DH riding.
    Demo 8's are awesome, so are Intense M6 and even early Transition TR450's are getting cheap now.
  • You realise that Mini DH you linked to doesnt have a rear shock right?

I'd see what I could find second hand on Pinkbike either as whole bike or frame.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • You realise that Mini DH you linked to doesnt have a rear shock right?

I'd see what I could find second hand on Pinkbike either as whole bike or frame.

Yes i realise that! looking at the iron horse sundays now anyway... Cheers for advice i'll keep you updated
  • Whats your total build budget?
    Sundays are a great ride, proper race bike which with a few tweeks (angleset & offset bushes) is as good as most modern bikes.
  • For the price of that Mini DH you should look at the Nukeproof Scalp - on for a good price at CRC with a shock.
  • For the price of that Mini DH you should look at the Nukeproof Scalp - on for a good price at CRC with a shock.

£1030 with cane creek double barrel shock.
  • OK - a bit more but that Commie is 560 plus another 300+ for a shock and the Scalps a better bike. For the sake of a couple hundred quid no point in compromising that much.

But I'd go for a second hand complete bike if I was just trying DH.
  • For example - Commie or Demo
  • You really need to figure out a build budget.

I'm only 75% finished on my Orange 224 and i'm at about £1100 with about another £300-400 to get it finished.