how to stop being c-c-cold? :(

2»

Comments

• Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    They breed em tough in Wales ...
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    I don't belive these people for a second.
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • Some of you lot need to man up lol.... all you would have needed when you were 23 like I am even on the coldest days in this country is...
    Fixed that for you ;)
    Mangeur
  • siamon
    siamon Posts: 274
    Anything Merino is magic, keeps you at the right temperature no matter how hot or cold, wet or dry. Merino socks negate the need overshoes. By careful about winter jackets. I brought an Assos Airblock (or something) and even at -5 with one base layer it just makes you drip sweat, which is the last thing you want to do in cold weather. Could be quite dangerous.
  • siamon wrote:
    Anything Merino is magic, keeps you at the right temperature no matter how hot or cold, wet or dry. Merino socks negate the need overshoes. By careful about winter jackets. I brought an Assos Airblock (or something) and even at -5 with one base layer it just makes you drip sweat, which is the last thing you want to do in cold weather. Could be quite dangerous.

Have the same Assos jacket, and it does the job too well doesn't it? Actually looking forward to a few cooler days so I can use it without schvitzing like a pigdog!
  • mouth
    mouth Posts: 1,195
    Some of you lot need to man up lol.... all you need even on the coldest days in this country is bib shorts + Ss jersey a t shirt underneath, Leg + arm warmers. Overshoes , decent pair of gloves and maybe a cap under your helmet. Job done for -5 and over. Once we are back to 10 deg plus it's Ss jersey plus shorts and that's it

This, minus leg and arm warmers, and overshoes. I would maybe allow a waterproof jacket if there is a chance of rain.
    The only disability in life is a poor attitude.
  • nbuuifx
    nbuuifx Posts: 302
    I was quite surprised to read this, last year was my first winter and to be fair I didn't go out in really cold weather, the coldest was around -2*C (at the start) which is cold enough!

I purchased a pair of padded legging type things, only wore them once and found them far too warm, so went back to just wearing shorts, my feet have never felt too cold so have just stuck with a reglar pair of socks. Gloves I had to get a pair of full finger as my fingers were freezing. Head - I used an old motorbike tube thing that can go round your neck and pull up to your ears etc, or you can put on top of your head. Other than that I just wore a long sleve jersey instead of short sleeve.

If it looks like it's going to warm up then I would wear a short sleeve top and put my micro water proof jacket on, then fold that up later when I was warm.
  • I remember back in march, I think i was doing the Ystwyth CC 10 in Abergavenny, weather was looking ok as I left the house 65 miles away but started to rain when I arrived, I was wearing the same stuff as in my avatar, no base layer just an ultra thin skinsuit with no gloves (may aswell have been naked lol)

The temperature was about 4 degrees when i set off in the pouring rain and freezing cold wind, before I started my hands were throbbing and had no feeling whatsoever, 3 miles in and I couldnt even change gear and could just manage enough strength to break before the turn. What the temp was with the rain and windchill factor I dont know but I've never been so cold in my life.

Felt like I was going to die when I got back to the car, just sat there with the heaters on full shaking uncontrollably, lasted for a good 30-40 minutes afterwards, couldnt keep the tea in my cup back at the HQ :P

Now thats what you call c-c cold!

Sad thing is that was the 2nd fastest 10 I've managed all year, 21:00 on the 10/17 lol
    10 mile TT pb - 20:56 R10/17
    25 - 53:07 R25/7
    Now using strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/155152
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    I've had a couple of occasions when I've been so that I couldn't turn the key to get my car started... Had to wait ages to warm up enough
  • dubcat
    dubcat Posts: 754
    Wore my leg and arm warmers with my gillet when I set off yesterday at 7am. Kept me lovely and warm. I stuffed the leg warmers and gilet in to a jersey pocket half way through the ride. Really glad I bought them. Definitely need full finger gloves though.
    2010 Specialized Rockhopper
    2012 Bianchi Infinito