29er Bikes

Moif
Moif Posts: 46
edited September 2012 in MTB buying advice
I'm 5' 9" / 89kg and the Decathlon website has suggested I'm a large (subject to trying the bike of course) and over the past few days whilst I've been eyeing up the 5.3 I've seen a 5.29 appear. Obviously this is a 29er.

Notwithstanding the technical advantages, is this something that's going to be suitable for someone of my size / weight or are these geared towards the more taller of the species?

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Yes to the first and no to the second.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Moif
    Interesting, thanks.
  • Moif wrote:
    I'm 5' 9" / 89kg and the Decathlon website has suggested I'm a large (subject to trying the bike of course) and over the past few days whilst I've been eyeing up the 5.3 I've seen a 5.29 appear. Obviously this is a 29er.

Notwithstanding the technical advantages, is this something that's going to be suitable for someone of my size / weight or are these geared towards the more taller of the species?

I'd say you were better going for med or even small, depends what the effective top tube lenth is.
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Genesis High Latitude 2x10
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    Moif wrote:

I'd say you were better going for med or even small, depends what the effective top tube lenth is.
    I'd have thought medium as well. I'm 5'10" in the right shoes and all my bikes have been either mediun or around 17" including my medium 29er.
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • Moif wrote:

Notwithstanding the technical advantages,

Don't forget the disadvantages of heavier/weaker wheels, longer chain stays, poor low speed handling, limited tyre choice etc
  • Moif
    Cheers chaps, I'll find out a week Tuesday :)
  • Try one for size first. As it is so easy to do so, why wouldn't you?