Virgin trains & bikes

londoncommuter
londoncommuter Posts: 1,550
edited September 2012 in Commuting general
I've booked a bike onto a Virgin train from London to Chester at hopefully quite a quiet time. How practically does it work with Virgin, can you stay with your bike? If there are a few bikes are they dumped on top of each other?

I'm trying to decide whether to take my carbon beauty or cheaper commuter depending on how likely it is to get nicked (very unlikely I guess) or scratched (much more likely?) so any practical advice gratefully received. On East Midlands Trains they usually let you sit with your bike which I know is ridiculous on my behalf but I much prefer (it might get lonely without me).

Thanks

Comments

• When I did C2C you book your bike in and have to make yourself known to staff on the platform. You are then directed to the bike compartment on the train and have to 'hang' your bike up on a harness. Can't remember if it was locked afterwards or not and there aren't usually seats in the area...although this might all depend on the type of train you get on the day!
    Roadie: Cannondale CAAD10
    Commuter/everything else: Custom build Genesis Croix de Fer
  • jamesco
    jamesco Posts: 687
    When we did the Way of the Roses we caught a Virgin train from Euston to Lancaster (it was carrying on to Glasgow). We didn't reserve the cycle spots, which was dumb as there was only space for about 4 bikes in a small alcove, with stacking or using the corridor prohibited. There were safety-belts and as it was a carriage without passengers it seemed perfectly safe.
  • diggitty

"hang" sounds a bit ominous, are they secure so bikes don't bash into each other? What does the harness attach to and does it scratch your paintwork?
  • If I remember rightly there's hooks that go through the spokes on your front (or rear) rim so they're hung vertically. The rim would be taking the weight and the bikes are kinda alongside each other. It's pretty awkward trying to get a bike down if it's not nearest the door so probably the biggest potential for damage is other people being careless when loading/unloading their bikes
    Roadie: Cannondale CAAD10
    Commuter/everything else: Custom build Genesis Croix de Fer
  • It depends upon the type of train unit being used for the trip. For Chester, Virgin use Class 221 Super Voyager (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Rail_Class_221 ). These have a hanging bike space as noted earlier. This should be booked in advance or at some stations and on some trains, you will not be allowed to board. ( http://www.virgintrains.co.uk/trains/as ... vel-bikes/ ). this has never happened to me but I have seen it (a group of kids on BMX's. I think the Train Manager just didn't like the look of them!).

It is also very important to let the Train Manager know you have a bike (and to ask if they change staff along the route so you can tell the replacement manager about your bike if you need to) with you and to attach the bike part of the reservation slip onto your bike. I also always tell the Train Manager where they can find me if they need me.

If you are travelling on a Pendolino then your bike goes into a space at the front of the train (behind the driver). You can only get into this space if its unlocked by Station Staff or by the Train Manager. I don't lock my bike when its here but do if its hanging on a Voyager!

Virgin staff are mostly very helpful.