A good goosing made me jump this morning

walkingbootweather
walkingbootweather Posts: 2,443
edited September 2012 in Commuting chat
Riding to work this morning I almost jump out of my skin at a loud honking. It appears to be a large flock of geese flying south. Anyone else noticing tell-tale signs of a change in the season. Tell me winter isn't upon us already.
Nobody told me we had a communication problem

Comments

• Loads of geese about here too. Seem to be gathering to head somewhere warmer like Iceland....

Not seen the swallows dissappearing yet, but must be soon.
    Rowan tree in my garden produced a big crop of berries, but they were all eaten by birds before any fell to the ground.

Made cheesecake with a lovely tub of wild blackberries I picked on Tuesday. Lovely stuff.
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    qnndQ.jpg
    Snow on Ben Nevis. Mind you there was an occasional sprinkling in August.
  • Rowan tree in my garden produced a big crop of berries, but they were all eaten by birds before any fell to the ground.

Made a lovely Rowan berry liqueur a few years back from a recipe I saw on a witchcraft website. Apparently wards off evil spirits as well as giving you an evil hangover. Great stuff.
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    I am continually having to clear debris from garden that is being ejected from the tree on the public footpath outside my front wall.

Its coming
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • Been getting junk mail with Christmas offers. Does that count?
    You've no won the Big Cup since 1902!
  • my Aunty has just texted and asked if I want to play board games and have drinks at hers on Xmas Eve!
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    leaves on the route in -turning to slimey sludge is normally the indicator winter is on its way
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • my Aunty has just texted and asked if I want to play board games and have drinks at hers on Xmas Eve!

Cool. I bet she makes snowballs out of advocaat too. Can I come?
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • Selection boxes are in the shops, as are mince pies.

No better indicator than that.
    Disc Trucker
    Kona Ute
    Rockrider 8.1
    Evil Resident
    Day 01 Disc
    Viking Derwent Tandem
    Planet X London Road
  • Christmas stuff in shops is no indication that winter is coming. FFS my local supermarkets start setting aside shelf space around my birthday in late August. (First year it happened I literally burst out loud into a fit of giggles. It was over 80F outside. At least the floor manager kiddy had the good grace to be embarrassed...) :?
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,632
    Big_Paul wrote:
    Selection boxes are in the shops, as are mince pies.

No better indicator than that.

Perhaps any indicator which didn't regularly happen earlier in the year would be a better indicator than that?
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • There was a Christmas song on the radio, also I've been needing sleeves in the morning.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • jejv
    jejv Posts: 566
    Date of office xmas party posted today.
    It's still summer, right ?