Clothes on dogs?

mudcow007
mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
edited September 2012 in Commuting chat
my mrs sister came back from holiday with a present for our border collie

IMG-20120912-WA0000.jpg

its an American Apparel hoody which im told is "down with the kids"

personally i think it looks awful an all the other dogs will point an laugh at her but my mrs reckons she will put it on the dog when the weather gets cold

cool or uncool?
Keeping it classy since '83

Comments

• rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    very uncool.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    See that fluffy stuff over your dog's skin? That's called" fur", that is, or perhaps a "coat".

You've got a dog born and bred to work, not nonce around in a jumper. Dogs have survived just fine for thousands of years without some numpty twatkins dressing them up like they're flipping models.

The very antithesis of cool, and you should remove it forthwith.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    Clothes on animals are plain wrong; it's like horses with blankets. Animals evolved to live outdoors. They are already equipped with waterproof skin to stay dry, and fur to stay warm.
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Ms Bails used to play 'dog buckaroo'. She'd (usually while drunk, apparently) see how many items of clothing she could put on her parent's sleeping dog before he woke up/got fed up and walked off with half the ironing pile.....
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • mudcow007
    i said that to her last night, how have dogs survived this long without the need for a coat....!

its not like the dog is cuddly an fluffy

clicky
    th_IMG_1671.jpg
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    davis wrote:
    See that fluffy stuff over your dog's skin? That's called" fur", that is, or perhaps a "coat".

You've got a dog born and bred to work, not nonce around in a jumper. Dogs have survived just fine for thousands of years without some numpty twatkins dressing them up like they're flipping models.

This. Surely the OP is joking, please?
    Snow%2052.jpg
  • mudcow007
    bompington wrote:
    davis wrote:

This. Surely the OP is joking, please?
    Snow%2052.jpg

i refuse to take her (the collie) out if she is wearing a coat

the dog doesn't even like wearing it
  • davis wrote:

Loved this.... nearly splattered coffee all over laptop.

Seriously though, it looks pretty awful. Get it lost.....
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • maybe for a dog with out much coat, such as a whippet and the like.

But for most dogs it's pointless and naff.
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    ac51b457.jpg

Chopper prefers her naked.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • tgotb
    mudcow007 wrote:
    i said that to her last night, how have dogs survived this long without the need for a coat....!

its not like the dog is cuddly an fluffy

clicky
    th_IMG_1671.jpg
    If you have to splint the poor thing's broken leg with a stale baguette rather than forking out for a proper plaster cast, you shouldn't be wasting money on clothes imho...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    TGOTB wrote:
    Clothes on animals are plain wrong; it's like horses with blankets. Animals evolved to live outdoors. They are already equipped with waterproof skin to stay dry, and fur to stay warm.

Given how many horse blankets we get through, I'd love to adhere to your view and save a basket of cash. However, with certain horse varietals, weather and care regimes, nags get rugged for their own comfort just as much as for their keepers' satisfaction.
  • davis wrote:

Quite right. Clothes are totally surplus to requirements. All you need in a pair of scissors and some dye to make your pet look ridiculous.

bizarre-dog-hairstyle-4.jpg
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • tgotb
    DrLex wrote:
    Given how many horse blankets we get through, I'd love to adhere to your view and save a basket of cash. However, with certain horse varietals, weather and care regimes, nags get rugged for their own comfort just as much as for their keepers' satisfaction.
    That's makes sense on an individual basis (welfare of the animal is obviously paramount) but how did we get to this position? Surely horses evolved without a handy supply of blankets...

OP: I'm quite impressed you actually got her to wear the "garment", but I've only just spotted that you said it's a hoodie. Please tell us you also tried to put the hood up.....
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    TGOTB wrote:
    DrLex wrote:
    That's makes sense on an individual basis (welfare of the animal is obviously paramount) but how did we get to this position? Surely horses evolved without a handy supply of blankets...

OP: I'm quite impressed you actually got her to wear the "garment", but I've only just spotted that you said it's a hoodie. Please tell us you also tried to put the hood up.....

Domesticated horses and dogs have had a significant amount of human input into their genetic development as well as environmental.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • DesWeller wrote:

Domesticated horses and dogs have had a significant amount of human input into their genetic development as well as environmental.

As have welsh sheep alledgedly
  • tgotb
    DesWeller wrote:
    Exactly. So why do we breed animals that require clothes?
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • bompington
    TGOTB wrote:
    DesWeller wrote:
    Exactly. So why do we breed animals that require clothes?
    More to the point, why do we breed people who want clothes on their animals?
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    TGOTB wrote:

I'm no horse breeder, but many I see are Arabians, and I'm sure you can appreciate the difference between desert climes and a rain-sodden open field in the Home Counties. Welsh ponies and cobs can probably manage fine without any dressings.
  • mudcow007
    My mrs just read this thread an her response was

"As if i'm going to listen to grown men who wear lycra in public - its cool"

an yes she did have the hood up, i don't think i got a picture though
  • SimonAH
    DesWeller wrote:

....made me spit piecrumbs that did! Just relayed it to my office here in Wales too!

• bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    What do you get if you insert human DNA into a goat?

Banned from the petting zoo :(
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • TommyEss
    TommyEss Posts: 1,855
    bails87 wrote:
    Baaaaaaaaaaanned from the petting zoo :(

FTFY
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    bails87 wrote:
    What do you get if you insert human DNA into a goat?

Banned from the petting zoo :(

I'll get your coat
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • mudcow007
    SimonAH wrote:
    DesWeller wrote:

....made me spit piecrumbs that did! Just relayed it to my office here in Wales too!

im told velcro gloves help with sheep
  • SimonAH
    So, there is a guy in his final year at University, and he decides to do a thesis on Sheep Shagging. (Strange behaviour, considering he was studying Electronics ... but, never mind ... I digress).

He calls upon a Surrey Sheep Farmer to ask his opinions.

'Well, I gets the hind legs ... stuffs them into me wellies ... and then takes them from behind. That's it.'

'Oh, thank you' says the student, taking copious notes along with sketches etc.

Next he visits a farm down in Dorset.

'What are your view on sheep shagging?' he asks boldly.

'Well, you've got to take the hind legs, stuff them into the wellingtons, and then take the sheep from behind. That's all there is to it'

'Oh. Thank you very much for your information' the student replies, once again scribbling away in his notebook.

The Student, intent on finding out the most about sheep shagging from farmers far and wide, visits Wales.

'How do you sheep shag?' he confronts one farmer.

And once again he gets the same reply. 'Take the hind legs. Stuff them into the wellingtons. Give the sheep one from behind.'

Scottish farmers gave The Student the same answer. Maybe it was something to do with Great Britain or something ... so he travels to Europe.

All across Greece, Turkey, Italy, Austria, France ... no matter where he went he got the same answer 'Take the hind legs. Stuff them into the wellingtons. Take the sheep from behind.'

The Student began to get depressed. No matter where he went, would he ever get a different answer? Surely there must be someone, somewhere, that shagged sheep differently.

He travelled to the Southern Hemisphere.

At New Zealand he obtained the same answer to the same question.

'Take the hind legs. Stuff them into the wellingtons. Take the sheep from behind.'

Finally he manages to find a small outback farm in the middle of Australia. He approaches the sheep farmer and explains his predicament. Gladly the Australian sheep farmer explains his method.

'Well, you get the sheep; throw it on its back; spread its legs and then do the business.'

'Eh? ... ' replied The Student, incredulously. 'You don't put the legs in the wellingtons and take the sheep from behind?'

'WHAT!?', says the Aussie Farmer ... 'And miss out on all the *kissing* ?'

• mudcow007 wrote:

Coats on most dogs are stupid but on a collie it's criminal. As someone's already said they're working dogs and are used to being outside in all weathers in the borders, lake district or welsh mountains, not places exactly famed for their warm dry climate.
    "Mummy Mummy, when will I grow up?"
    "Don't be silly son, you're a bloke, you'll never grow up"
  • Coats on most dogs are stupid but on a collie it's criminal. As someone's already said they're working dogs and are used to being outside in all weathers in the borders, lake district or welsh mountains, not places exactly famed for their warm dry climate.

Quite right. You need to get her something more appropriate from here
  • mudcow007 wrote:

OUCH! :lol:
  • bompington
    mudcow007 wrote:

I'd have thought that it's a lot better than grown men who wear lycra in private