When am i no longer a beginnner?

Phill B
Phill B Posts: 71
edited September 2012 in Road beginners
Hello chaps, as the title says "when am i no longer a beginner?"

What is the protocol for this? is judged by how long i have been a road cyclist (14 months)?

Is it based on miles covered (i try to average 150 miles per week)?

Or is it to do with average speed (17-18mph depending on lenght of ride)?

Do any other noobs ever wonder about this question or is it just me?
Hills hurt but sofas kill.

Comments

• springtide9
    springtide9 Posts: 1,731
    edited September 2012
    It's generally when you are pleased that your 'average speed is now ....' and you post in the Beginners forum, and people comment that you are not a beginner :wink:

There is no definition. If you joined a club, you would be a beginner. If you started racing, you would be a beginner. There will always be people more experienced than you, and always be people less experienced.

So you are not a beginner, you are an individual. But if you are wanting an official statement, I think after 12 months you are not what this forum considers a beginner.
    Simon
  • Peddle Up!
    Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
    With every passing day I feel more and more like a beginner at everything.

I dunno if that helps, at all. :)
    Purveyor of "up" :)
  • danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    Why the need to categorize yourself?, there will always be someone faster / slower with more / less knowledge about cycling than you, it doesn't matter what pidgoen hole you put yourself in, it's all down to perception.
  • I understand that there will always be people far better than i will ever be and to another cyclist with 30 yrs riding in the bank i would be considerd a beginner. I suppose like many things it is all relative and can not be as black and white as i first thought.
    Hills hurt but sofas kill.
  • karlth
    karlth Posts: 156
    There's also the "been MTBing for years just got a road bike" beginner who's very different from the "never cycled since I was a kid, just got a road bike" beginner.
  • NITR8s
    NITR8s Posts: 688
    Dont forget the all the gear no idea begineer, who has a better ride than everyone else in the cycling club but has never ridden any longer than 5 miles before.
  • Teece
    Teece Posts: 138
    There's a bloke just started working at my college and I met him in the bike racks. He was getting off a fixed wheel vintage frame with no brakes.
    He explained that he had just started cycling again and hadn't cycled since he was a kid.

I nodded and smiled but made it obvious that I didn't believe him!
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    when you stop posting your average speed :wink:
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    I think you stop being a beginner when you realise that you are no longer soaking up information and knowledge from others but are starting to give it out to others ...
  • ianbar
    ianbar Posts: 1,354
    i do 100 miles a week done a few sportives and been riding for 18 months now, i still class myself as a beginner don't know when i won't maybe next season...
    enigma esprit
    cannondale caad8 tiagra 2012
  • Dmak
    Dmak Posts: 445
    When you stop asking silly questions! :D

Really though it's just when you know your s*** :) You'll know.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    When you no longer desire deep rim wheels!* :lol:

*I'm joking!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • kieranb
    kieranb Posts: 1,674
    when you don't worry about being a beginner any more or wonder if others on your ride/commute route can tell if you are one or not.

But definitely, as said already, when you stop asking silly questions or the balance of seeking advice to giving advice turns.
  • mattshrops
    mattshrops Posts: 1,134
    When you stop posting your stats in the hope someone will give you praise :lol:
    Death or Glory- Just another Story
  • Mikey23 wrote:
    I think you stop being a beginner when you realise that you are no longer soaking up information and knowledge from others but are starting to give it out to others ...

This.

Fitness and speed are separate areas of proficiency; not all cyclists are wannabe racers.

I personally stopped feeling like a 'beginner' when I felt like the working parts of a bike were no longer a complete mystery to me, that I had some degree of competence to make my own choices of parts and upgrades, and that I had sufficient conviction to advise others.
  • karlth
    karlth Posts: 156
    Probably when you've replaced a set of forks.
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    The day after you start :-)
    Yellow is the new Black.