Do saddles wear out?

andyeb
andyeb Posts: 407
edited September 2012 in Road beginners
I've never had to replace a saddle before, but I'm beginning to wonder if the saddle on my 1-year old road bike (Jamis Ventura Comp) has "gone". Is this possible? I've only done 3500 miles on the bike, mostly it 2 hour/30 mile stints.

I'm starting to find it increasingly uncomfortable (i.e. dead-end feeling) on long rides. When I press down on the middle, it seems to have more "give" in it than I remember. I also hear it and feel it creaking when going over bumps. The saddle is a Selle San Marco Ischia Arrowhead with SL cover and carbon steel rails.

Any recommendations about how to find a comfortable saddle if it does indeed need replacing?

thanks,

Andrew

Comments

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Never worn one out but I have broken the rails in one or two ?
  • andyeb
    cougie wrote:
    Never worn one out but I have broken the rails in one or two ?

Thanks - that's a good point - will take a close look when I get the bike up on the stand to clean it later.

Going on memory though - I seem to recall the saddle bends like a hammock when pressed in the middle. So it looks like it's supported OK at either end and either the bit in between has stretched over time or has lost it's rigidity.
  • Just had the same issue with a Fizik Anatres, not even a year old and only 4000miles before it started to be come so uncomfortable that 10 miles on it hurt. Seems to have developed serious amounts of flex in the shell and a very small crack in the base, though the rails themselves seem fine.

Have put in a warranty claim with Fizik but have not heard anything back.
  • I had a Fizik Arione saddle fail on me - the rails were fine but the flexible plastic shell under the seat cover developed a crack in it.

Yes, I was probably a bit heavy for it hose days !
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Same as tiredof... rails are fine but the plastic moulding fails eventually. Look closely and you'll be able to see a crack or a complete failure where it bends more than it did. Bin it & get another saddle. I've had three go like that after getting good use out of them - a few thousand miles apiece.
  • andyeb
    Many thanks for your helpful and insightful replies. :) Off to the bike shop in my lunch break...
  • andyeb
    Opinion of guys in the bike shop is that the saddle has "had it", simply due to wear and tear. Replaced with a Bontrager, which has a 30 day money back guarantee if it's not comfortable - we shall see.

FWIW it's well worth going into a bricks-and-mortar bike shop to buy a saddle - they had a gizmo full of white gell which can be used to measure the distance between your sit bones and they were able to recommend the appropriate sizing.

Now to get it fitted before the 60 mile round trip commute in the morning...
  • I stretched out an Arione but it took something in excess of 12,000 miles before I bought a new one.

I suspect the plastic has cracked on yours leading to premature floppyness. ;)
  • andyeb
    I stretched out an Arione but it took something in excess of 12,000 miles before I bought a new one.

I suspect the plastic has cracked on yours leading to premature floppyness. ;)

:roll:

I checked the old saddle - plastic doesn't seem to be cracked but it seems to be particularly flexible around the hole in the middle which is supposed to prevent pressure on sensitive bits.