World Champs Jersey

compo
compo Posts: 1,370
edited September 2012 in MTB general
Been to the Tour of Britain today, and I've also seen some people wearing the DH one.

I think its an absolute joke how you should be allowed to wear them. Its like walking around town with an Olympic gold medal around your neck. You should only be allowed to wear them if you have earnt them.

Interestingly, I have never seen anyone wearing a British Champion's jersey.

People will say, "yes but people wear football shirts, you have to be good to wear that". However, clubs have numerous teams and there is no winners' shirts. its just like a roadie wearing, for example, a Sky jersey.

[rant/]

Comments

• chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    compo wrote:
    People will say, "yes but people wear football shirts, you have to be good to wear that".
    not in this country you dont
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • I don't understand - you can buy a copy of the world champs dh jersey? Really? I should get one, I'm pretty good.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • compo wrote:
    Been to the Tour of Britain today, and I've also seen some people wearing the DH one.

I think its an absolute joke how you should be allowed to wear them. Its like walking around town with an Olympic gold medal around your neck. You should only be allowed to wear them if you have earnt them.

Interestingly, I have never seen anyone wearing a British Champion's jersey.

People will say, "yes but people wear football shirts, you have to be good to wear that". However, clubs have numerous teams and there is no winners' shirts. its just like a roadie wearing, for example, a Sky jersey.

[rant/]

:roll: please tell me this is a wind up?
    My biggest fear is that should I crash, burn and die, my Wife would sell my stuff based upon what I told her I paid for it.
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    I used to own a british and irish lions rugby jersey, i've never played for them and is seen by some as the pinacle of peoples rugby careers - should i not have been aloud to wear that?
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    If you want to talk crap about "earning jerseys" go over to the road forum, they'll go on about it for weeks, they love the topic. Take it over there, or go in the crudcatcher so we can have some fun.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    edited September 2012
    That could really confuse people - if there's a whole crowd how on earth will they know who the real champ is?
    Seriously.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • EH_Rob
    EH_Rob Posts: 1,134
    Dear Sir,

This is rather annoying, many thanks for bringing it to my attention. I will be sure to buy another shirt so people don't mistake me for other people wearing a replica jersey.

Thanks again, and regards.

M. Cavendish
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    You're not allowed to race in it, as you're not allowed to race in any replica kit. I remember a chap turning up to the first XC NPS a few years go in full world champs regalia (in masters IIRC), they made him turn his jersey inside out on the start line.

Not a fan of replica kits myself full stop, but if people want to then go nuts.
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    I've got Rachel, Gee and Dan Athertons old jerseys, do you think people will mistake me for one of them if I wear it?
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    oodboo wrote:
    I've got Rachel, Gee and Dan Athertons old jerseys, do you think people will mistake me for one of them if I wear it?

possibly rachel... :wink:
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    If your not supposed to wear it why do they sell them

Does anyone who doesnt shave there legs seriously give a crap or is this trolling
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • I think Danny Hart rides my local trails on a 2005 Kona Stinky with a set of dead Marzocchi Junior T's. I would have thought Giant could give him a bike for his days off. He looks a lot thinner & younger when he is at world cup races as well.
  • njee20
    If your not supposed to wear it why do they sell them

You're not allowed to wear replica kit for BCF sanctioned races full stop, world champs or not. Can do what you want on the trails.
  • oodboo wrote:

do they know, or was it a crowbar-at-midnight job?
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    oodboo wrote:

do they know, or was it a crowbar-at-midnight job?
    Who needs a crowbar to steel washing off a line...

Nah, I won them in a competition on facebook.
    65903.jpg
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    I can kind of get why people might wear team replica kit (well, not really) - but why anyone would buy and wear a world champs jersey is totally beyond me. I won't stop anyone doing it, but just why??
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    ilovedirt wrote:
    I can kind of get why people might wear team replica kit (well, not really) - but why anyone would buy and wear a world champs jersey is totally beyond me. I won't stop anyone doing it, but just why??

I wouldnt wear a WC jersey if I was paid to (dont think they do them in my size anyway) but if someone liked the design and bought it why not wear the jersey there supporting the UCI and world cycling and I really dont think 99.9999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999 % of the worlds cycling population knows or even cares what it stands for. My Ritchey seatpost has WC stripes on it are the cycling style police going to stop me and make me remove it.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    There's a difference though between having a seatpost with some small worlds stripes on it and wearing a jersey with them emblazoned across the chest.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • sigorman85
    sigorman85 Posts: 2,536
    Off the subject but I have a Honda cbr replica race bike and it makes me feel like a champ lol
    When i die I just hope the wife doesn't sell my stuff for what I told her I paid for it other wise someone will be getting a mega deal!!!

De rosa superking 888 di2
  • sigorman85 wrote:
    Off the subject but I have a Honda cbr replica race bike and it makes me feel like a champ lol

A Honda?
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • sigorman85
    Yes one with a engine
    When i die I just hope the wife doesn't sell my stuff for what I told her I paid for it other wise someone will be getting a mega deal!!!

• chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    sigorman85 wrote:
    Yes one with a engine
    you mean like this
      41zObGSGVHL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
        :wink::lol:
      Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
    • sigorman85
      Na mate ment this

Taken by simongorman85 http://www.flickr.com/photos/84533015@N08/

• bails87
      bails87 Posts: 12,998
      ilovedirt wrote:
      There's a difference though between having a seatpost with some small worlds stripes on it and wearing a jersey with them emblazoned across the chest.
      Not really. It doesn't matter in the slightest in both cases.
      MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
    • njee20
      Of course there is. Few people buy a bike/seatpost because it has a specific small decal on it. People buy a replica jersey solely because of what's printed on it!
    • bails87
      bails87 Posts: 12,998
      But it still doesn't matter, in the slightest.
      MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
    • njee20
      Being an elitist dick though, I judge someone I see in full replica kit as being a bit special. Makes them fair game for heckling at races mind. I don't judge people if their bikes are replica models, as you generally don't have a choice in that, even less so is it a deciding factor.
    • Please don't bring this stupid debate onto the mtb forum... The road forum has this debate every day of the week... It's pathetic...
      Always remember.... Wherever you go, there you are.

Ghost AMR 7500 2012
      De Rosa R838
    • njee20
      Well we seem to regularly have the debate about "I said hello to someone and he didn't reply", and that's even more pathetic, so this seems quite sensible!
    • I used to play five-a-side football in an Inter Milan top that said RONALDO on the back (the Brazilian Ronaldo, not the Portuguese one).

As far as I know, this did not cause any confusion or consternation. Probably because I am clearly not a 6' 2" Brazilian, and I am sh!t at football.

Also, context is everything. I guess that no-one really expected to see the real Ronaldo playing five-a-side with a bunch of cloggers in Glasgow.

I didn't wear this top because I had any particular affiliation with Inter Milan or Ronaldo, it was just a nice top that I received as a present and it seemed appropriate to wear it when playing football.

When cycling, I would wear whatever kit I had. If this involved wearing a KOM top or WC top, this would purely be because it was a top that I happened to own. It wouldn't be a statement about my own abilities or self belief, in the same vane that I am not Ronaldo.

To think otherwise is perverse.