New 2013 Hardtrail Reviews?

john10012
john10012 Posts: 47
edited October 2012 in MTB general
Does anyone know what if any new Hardtrail Mountain Bikes are worth taking a look at and if there have been many reviws of such on Bike Radar recently?

I have been so busy the last month I've not had a chance to keep up with any developpments or announcements of new 2013 models.

I was looking to get a Hardtrail as part of the Cycle to Work Scheme. Something circa £500 to £600 in cost for the bike. With the smaller 26" wheels.

Unfortunately the great value bikes sold through Halfords are not available to me e.g. Fury, Hoodoo, HT Comp etc.

Comments

• chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • Thanks! Do you know if the fork is good on the Decathalon bike? And are the gears good for getting up steep hills? I have read a reply from someone in the past saying I should look at 11-34t cassette.

Any other recommendations to add to the Decathalon?
  • That's a great fork for a £500 bike. There are £800 - £1000 bikes out there with that fork.
    Everyone else at that price goes for a Suntour.
    Don't get hung-up on the cassette - that is fine too. Plenty of gears for the climbs. If anything it is the other way round - you may be spinning on the downhills.

The frame and fork should be the best that you can afford when you start off. The Rockriders are a great start. The rest can be replaced as and when you need it. Start worrying about the gear ratios once you have started riding and know what you want.
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    john10012 wrote:
    Thanks! Do you know if the fork is good on the Decathalon bike? And are the gears good for getting up steep hills? I have read a reply from someone in the past saying I should look at 11-34t cassette.

Yeah, ignore that cassette advice. If you run in granny ring on a 34t cassette you'll basically be going nowhere very slowly. 32 is ample on the back for a 3 ring set up.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • Buy a 2012 bike, you will get better vaule. Prices are up (or spec reduced) for 2013 and you will get the end of year bargains.
  • chez_m356
    Buy a 2012 bike, you will get better vaule. Prices are up (or spec reduced) for 2013 and you will get the end of year bargains.
    and its still likely to be not as well specced as an 8.1
  • Unless you buy a 2012 Rockrider and they put their prices up for 2013.
  • Thanks.

Anything else to consider besides this? I am not entirely sure I would be able to get this one through Cycle Scheme?
  • Oh, and out of interest what is the total weight of the rockrider? I don't see this mentioned anywhere? Only the weight of the frame.
  • chez_m356
    Unless you buy a 2012 Rockrider and they put their prices up for 2013.
    the 2012 8.1 is the new bike, they have only recently released there 2012 range
  • grenw
    grenw Posts: 803
    benpinnick wrote:
    john10012 wrote:
    Thanks! Do you know if the fork is good on the Decathalon bike? And are the gears good for getting up steep hills? I have read a reply from someone in the past saying I should look at 11-34t cassette.

Yeah, ignore that cassette advice. If you run in granny ring on a 34t cassette you'll basically be going nowhere very slowly. 32 is ample on the back for a 3 ring set up.

Especially when the granny ring is a 22.
  • I don't think you can get the rockrider through the cycle scheme unfortunately.

Anything else to consider?

It's starting to look like the only good value hard trails are available through halfords and that there isn't much through cycle scheme value wise. Specialized have all gone to 29" inch wheels as well now I believe for rockhopper and their forks are not the best.
  • chez_m356
    john10012 wrote:
    I don't think you can get the rockrider through the cycle scheme unfortunately.

Anything else to consider?

It's starting to look like the only good value hard trails are available through halfords and that there isn't much through cycle scheme value wise. Specialized have all gone to 29" inch wheels as well now I believe for rockhopper and their forks are not the best.
    a few bikes on here that may be of interest, obviously size dependant http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m1b0s2p0
  • chez_m356 wrote:
    john10012 wrote:
    I don't think you can get the rockrider through the cycle scheme unfortunately.

Did you confirm that this was the case? My employer has just signed up for Cyclescheme and they list Decathlon as a partner. I spoke briefly to the Decathlon staff and they didn't seem to think there were any restrictions other than the upper limit of £1000 (I think).

I've had a Rockrider 5.0 (£100 special) since march and while it has exceeded my expectations it is starting to wear out on a 30 miles a day commute. Have had to replace the bottom bracket and a crank arm, plus the rear wheel is wobbling and looks beyond repair. That being said I am fairly hard on bikes being a big lad and I have nothing but good things to say about it for the price.

Am eyeing up a Rockrider 8.1 as part of the Cyclescheme as I suspect it would put up with a lot more, plus opens up the ability to do a little light off-roading as well. So far I can't find any arguments to dissuade me. I'm looking at a max budget of £500 so it fits the criteria perfectly.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    According to Cyclescheme's webby they do indeed deal with Decathlon.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • According to Cyclescheme's webby they do indeed deal with Decathlon.

Had this confirmed 'from the horses mouth' so to speak. They have offered to order one in for me from the warehouse so I can have a look at it before giving me the quote for Cyclescheme.

Have to say any dealings I've had with Decathlon have been first rate. Hugely impressed by them.
  • redstar1 wrote:
    Am eyeing up a Rockrider 8.1 as part of the Cyclescheme as I suspect it would put up with a lot more, plus opens up the ability to do a little light off-roading as well.

A what? "...a little light..."? Sir, I don't believe that there is such a thing. It's either all or nothing. Singletrack, XC or downhill? Cane it, kill it and then put it to bed. If you're not dead, then you're ok, but you must be close to expiry and have had at least two lairy moments during each "experience". "Light" has no part of off-road, other than the big ball of nuclear fission in the sky that allows you to see the mud, blood and sweat that you're covered in when you finish. And yes, I had all three this morning.

Unfortunately, I'm of the school that goes at it hard regardless, be it off road, on road, or on the two wheeler that I ride that happens to have a large internal combustion engine. I'm surprised I've made it to this age...
    I am considerably more rock and roll than you.

Road. Mountain. Up hill and down dale...
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    You are my new internet hero.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad wrote:
    You are my new internet hero.

I aim to please. Either that or offend. It usually comes out one way or the other. :mrgreen:

• Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    the big ball of nuclear fission in the sky that allows you to see ...

Have a look at Wikipedia. Read it hard, totally read that page, read it 'til it begs for mercy!!!
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • Fusion, schmusion. I may have been talking about a completely different ball of heat, light and thermal radiation...

*goddamn typos. Sits in corner and beats head against wall

• A "little light" 15 miler today. Two KoM's on Strava. One falling off, several "oh sh1t" moments. Lot's of mud. No blood, which marginally disappoints me. Lots of sweat, which is remarkable considering how cold the wind is!
    603614_10151039059512511_2026184795_n.jpg

258784_10151039058707511_311385273_o.jpg

• Larf!!! You call that MUD!!!!

Time you were extradited Carlos the wimpass Jackel.