Problem with Formula RX front disc

kamil1891
kamil1891 Posts: 658
edited September 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
I've just received my new Canyon today. Also I would like to note that I'm new to mtbs so I will try to explain everything in the most comprehensive way I possibly can :)

One thing that I found worrying was a front disc rubbing on the pads. I've been looking at the manuals and videos how to readjust the brakes so there is no rub and performed the action multiple times but the rub still occurred. I've also read that brakes just need bedding in within few miles or possibly more so I thought it's not a big deal then. I've taken the bike for a 15 mile ride and there is still rub.

Now I've held the bike vertically and I could see that the brake pads are 100% straight but looks like a disc is slightly out of true. When I spun the wheel the disc was rubbing from one side of the pads to another, therefore my thinking that the disc is not straight. Is it possible and am I right?

What should I do now? Repair it locally, send the bike back or what? :cry:

Thanks in advance for your responses.

edit. I would also like to note that the rubbing is minimal. I've had this on the back too but tightening properly the through axle seemed to be a solution (for the rear only).

Comments

• Just reset the caliper and keep riding
  • Did that many times :D hope it will be the right solution!
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Seems a bit pointless to send a bike back to Germany if the rotor is a bit warped. A new one is fairly cheap.
    But just ride it if it isn't actually giving problems.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    Have you asked Canyon? I know of cases where they've just said to buy a new disc and they'll reimburse you. It doesn't even sound like it's that bad though.
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Get and adjustable spanner, and bend it straight. Discs are made of steel, and easily repaired/straightened.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • If the disc rotor sways side to side by only 1-2mm its perfectly normal.
    I dont think i've ever had an absolutely straight disc rotor.

As long as its not heavily binding i would suggest riding it and letting the brakes bed in.
    Give the wheel a good hard spin if it rotates a good 10 times its fine.

Snot green Canyon Nerve AM 8.0x
  • Thanks for advice guys. Yep, it only moves about 1mm and when I spin the wheel (not too hard) it can rotate more than 20 times. It's just the sound of it that is annoying or when I go into a corner I can hear it sometimes too.

Now I came back of another ride, the offroad sections were quite wet etc and I don't know whether water is a reason but the rubbing occurs on the rear wheel too. However, I've sorted the rear wheel yesterday and it was fine until now.

I think I would just not care for a week or two and give it a time to bed in as it doesn't affect the riding at all. If the problem gets even worse or something like that then I would talk to Canyon.

Thanks for your advices again.