advice

miller153
miller153 Posts: 17
edited September 2012 in Road beginners
Hello all, i'm after a little advice.

I have been back into riding for a little over a year now, started off mainly keeping fit on the road on my hardtail and over the last 9 months i have been riding off road xc, single track trails and road riding on my trek top fuel which i brought for use off road.

Now as my time is getting a little tighter i have been riding on the road more and more and feel that a road bike might benifit me more in getting my riding in.

The advice i am after is what will i gain by training on a road bike as oppose to my mountain bike. I am currently riding 12 to 20 mile sessions as about a pace of 15mph, also what would be a good bike to start of with. As i currently have a trek and have had no problems at all with it i have been looking at madone 3.1( obviously i'd need to ride one to make sure im comfortable with the thing) but are there any other bikes out there that anyone would recommend for that price bracket or a little cheaper.

Comments

• It is alla bout how you feel when riding it. Try the trek any you may love it if you have had a trek mountain bike. I had a specialized mountain bike and then got a specialized road bike because I was just use to the way they feel.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    What will you gain from riding on the road?

Speed and intensity - even going from a slicked-up MTB the lack of weight and higher gearing will see you zipping along in comparison - particularly going uphill. With an MTB, the terrain often dictates the intensity of the ride whereas you can simply keep pedalling for harder for longer on a road bike.

Suggest you visit a few shops and test ride a few bikes to help inform your choice. If you want best value, you'd be better off with the likes of Planet-X or Ribble rather than a 'big brand' as you're paying a premium for the stickers.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • that or you can buy second hand! i picked up a specialized allez sport for £300 in good nick and ive been racing on it. so check your local paper, the clasifieds on here and the bay for whats going on. but always give them a test ride before to confirm sizing and such :)
    Ben
  • cheers for the replys..
    What are ribbles like in general, are they built well? Can they be brought from a shop or do you have to go through their website to buy, would be nice to go and see one to try before i buy...