New? Seat? Pants? or Bum?

adri123
adri123 Posts: 32
edited September 2012 in MTB buying advice
Just got a Decathlon 8.1 and really enjoying it.

However, my bum hurts like hell after a decent session on the bike. I'm cycling in Ron Hill running trackers.

Would you recommend a new seat? And if so what would be good without breaking the bank? Or perhaps new cycling pants that have some padding? And if so which?

Can't change me bum so nothing to do there...

Many thanks for any replies.

Adri

Comments

• ali4390
    ali4390 Posts: 106
    You will get used to the saddle with time and it starts to hurt less so worth bearing in mind. As for seats, get yourself down to your LBS and try them out, what's good for one person isn't neccessarily good for someone else.
  • It takes time for everybody to adjust to a saddle anyway so dont worry give it some time and see how it goes. For example if i stay off the bike for quite a while then get back on bum will then hurt for a ride or two till i adjust again, so dont worry give it some time. however some cycling shorts wouldnt go amis as they are quite usefull and make it alot more comfy! bib shorts (like road cyclists) are very good then you just wear what every shorts you fancy over the top cycling specific or not otherwise you can get get mtb overshorts that havea padded lining to them however its the padding thats the important bit so if you already have to shorts that are okay to ride in then id get some padded shorts and wear your other shorts over the top or just wear the padded shorts like roadys, depends what your after. for the record you go comando under the padded shorts! take a look at wiggle, they do a great own brand of shorts called DHB and they are very well reviewed if you take a look and not too expensive for what you get.
    Ben
  • JB69
    JB69 Posts: 7
    I've had the same problem (recently started riding again) and got some padded cycling shorts (Muddy Fox £10 from Sports Direct on sale) that I wear under my shorts as the previous poster suggests and it has really helped me a lot.
  • Padded shorts.... And ride more so your backside adjusts!!
    2011 Carrera Fury

Earn cashback at CRC, Wiggle, Evans, Rutland, Hargroves, Halfords, and more at Quidco
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    waby1234 wrote:
    Padded shorts.... And ride more so your backside adjusts!!

This.