How long should I expect a BB to last?

chadders81
chadders81 Posts: 744
edited September 2012 in Commuting chat
Bottom bracket sounded well and truly rubbered on the way home tonight.

I'm not sure what the LBS put in there last time but think it was Ultegra. How long should I expect that to last?

Reckon it's done 2,000 miles but I am a heavy swine. Would that affect it?

Going to attack it myself. Should I be using lithium grease? I've got some copper slip. Would that do the job?

Comments

• I reckon my first Tiagra BB lasted about the same as that - commuting all weathers with no guards.

New ones last ages - commuting all weathers, with guards.
  • not sure which grease to use, thats a workshop Q i think. but how long they last for depends alot. how often you wash it grit and dirt mud guards through winter pressure washing it and so on. id be tempted to pop it out of the frame give it a clean and a regrease though! worth a punt and if it doesnt work get yourself a tiagra or 105, i wouldnt bother with ultegra for a commuter unless your situation is "special" ;) haha
    Ben
  • getprg
    getprg Posts: 245
    2,000 miles seems very short. I had the factory original issue square taper bb replaced 3 months ago on my 2008 Giant SCR2 - has been ridden summer and winter, rain and shine for about 15,000 miles (with mudguards) although must admit it was well kn.............ered.
  • Hmmm - this is the Hollowtech type.

I'm going to take the pedals off and clean then regrease the threads on those just to make sure they're not to blame. Maybe try a spare set of pedals as well.
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    If you're JZed, about the time it takes to ride home from the bike shop ;)
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • My Shimano 105 Octalink is still going strong after 25,000miles. Someone else on this forum claims to have ridden 50,000 miles on a Campag Veloce (square axle).

When it comes to external ones, get the frame refaced and a decent BB installed, eg. Hope or Chris King.
  • You lot clearly aren't generating the same sort of power as I am.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Replaced my shimano 5600 series is 105 twice before realising they were made of play doh and swapped to a buttery smooth token ceramic for £50 from wiggle that was in 2008 and since then I've only regressed it once.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • prj45
    prj45 Posts: 2,208
    Tiagra BB does about 2K miles for me. One just failed on me, it was good, good, good, and then sounded like a cement mixer with a literally horrific creak.

I'm 22 stone though and one of the fastest things out there so I wonder how they last so long frankly!
  • Think shimano treat BBs as 'disposable items' these days, as they're sealed and not serviceable in the traditional way.

still they're cheap enough- specially for some reason if you buy from germany (rose or bikediscount.de) and hollowtech ones take all of 35 seconds to change
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    not copper slip!!!

use lithium
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • Right - I'm 'working' from home today so I've taken the pedals off and they are totally f*cked so I'm going to swap them first and see how I get on.

I'll split the chain and taken the cranks off this weekend so I can least feel the BB cups and see if they feel gritty.

However - I can't break the power link in my chain. Is is okay to split it elsewhere and run it with two power links?

I know I should be asking this in workshop but I think people in there look down on me because of my lack of knowledge about anything.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    I've run a few powerlinks on a chain, just make sure you carry a spare, not that mine every caused me a problems.

Tend to get anywhere between 5-8k from a BB.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Chadders81 wrote:
    However - I can't break the power link in my chain. Is is okay to split it elsewhere and run it with two power links?

A chain is only as strong as it's weakest link. Whether the power link is weaker than the rest of the links is neither here nor there - once you have one in you are hardly going to be the worse off for having more!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Chadders81 wrote:
    I'll split the chain and taken the cranks off this weekend so I can least feel the BB cups and see if they feel gritty.
    You don't need to split the chain to get the cranks off. Just unhitch it from the cogs before removing them.

Mike
  • still they're cheap enough- specially for some reason if you buy from germany (rose or bikediscount.de) and hollowtech ones take all of 35 seconds to change
    The lifetime is getting better. The first FSA one I had lasted 3000miles. The first 105 shimano replacement lasted a little longer . The current Ultegra one has done well over 6000miles and is still grind free. This is in offroad & onroad conditions both wet and dry.

Mike
  • pastryboy
    pastryboy Posts: 1,385
    Can't recall the make (YST maybe) but the cheap square taper BB on my commuter which gets covered in filth lasted about 5-6,000 miles.

The Tiagra hollowtech one I had was rubbish in comparison on a bike that gets nowhere near as dirty - somewhere in the region of 1,000 - the chain has outlasted it.
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    mudcovered wrote:
    Chadders81 wrote:
    You don't need to split the chain to get the cranks off. Just unhitch it from the cogs before removing them.

Mike
    This. Why are you taking splitting the chain? If you're adding a new cassette and chain at the same time, fair enough. Otherwise its a hassle you don't need to go through?
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • Lifetime of a bottom bracket is directly proportional to its cost, assuming it is fitted correctly. For commuting ones designed for mountain bikes such as the Hope ones seem to last a very long time.
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    current FSA BB30's on about 5k and still going strong
  • I think it would last it's usual 10 week run. Cant stand that Davina...... :wink:
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"