Lake District Routes

paulmgreen
paulmgreen Posts: 158
edited September 2012 in Routes
I've been invited to take part in a charity event walking some of the mountains / fells below..... but I don't fancy walking them! It would be a different dynamic to have an MTB or two on the event but i don't want to cause any grief for the organisers by riding a bike up their routes illegally ( with it being a quite high profile event for the organiser! )

Below is a list of routes being covered by the event...... could anyone with any local knowledge advise or confirm the situation ref riding MTB up these routes as shown ( or alternatives to get to the same peaks)

SCAFELL PIKE from the Langdale Valley.... ...
SCAFELL route from either Wast Water or Eskdale......tbc
HELVELLYN.....route depending on the weather......either from Thirlmere or if a good dry day from Patterdale via the Edges .
BLENCATHRA " " " " " on of the 5 0r 6 Spurs.......
LANGDALE PIKES from the New Dungeon Ghyll Pub...... .
CRINKLE CRAGS/BOWFELL from " " "

Any local knowledge appreciated as its 20 years since i've been to the lakes with my bike so I don't know current situations / polices ref access!

Comments

• sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    Helvellyn is the only "legit" route of the above as most of the routes to the summit are bridle ways. The Scafells and Langdales are footpaths and would be more of a carry than a ride as would Blencathra.
    It's a long time since I've been on Bowfell/crinkle crags bit I'm sure they're pretty much unridable.
    If its a high profile organised event I wouldn't think they want people riding footpaths as certain associations would take offence.
    You can ride Helvellyn a number of ways from either Patterdale or Thirlmere but trying it via Striding/Swirral edge would probably involve being airlifted out by MR :D
  • TBH I wouldn't bother, the areas you're looking at are the honey-pot routes and regardless of the access issues, it would just be an absolute ball-ache having to negotiate the hordes of idiots. If you've not been to the Lakes with your bike in 20 years, you're in for a shock...