Why IS Basso here

specialgueststar
specialgueststar Posts: 3,418
edited September 2012 in Pro race
Where does that fit into his strategy. Is it sponsor led. Has he been paid enough? Is there enough?

Comments

• Team with outgoing main sponsor maximises exposure for old and new team shocker!

Cannondale don't shift the number of low end units the other US 'brands' do ... Maximise the potential ...

Plus Basso is a big draw ... sadly lost on the UK...
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,314
    Why IS Basso here

Do you mean in the country or on the planet?
  • nweststeyn
    nweststeyn Posts: 1,574
    I enjoyed seeing him ride past.... that's about all he did though.
  • OCDuPalais wrote:
    Why IS Basso here

Do you mean in the country or on the planet?

Like it
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    Not for English Breakfasts it seems (from the embarrassing interview the other day)
  • knedlicky wrote:
    Not for English Breakfasts it seems (from the embarrassing interview the other day)

where was that?
  • To ride his bike because thats his job

Embarrassing interview was no doubt on ITV4
    The UCI are Clowns and Fools
  • specialgueststar
    specialgueststar Posts: 3,418
    edited September 2012
    78 Evan Oliphant (GBr) Raleigh - GAC 0:05:39
    79 George Atkins (GBr) Great Britain
    80 Owain Doull (GBr) Great Britain
    81 Ivan Basso (Ita) Liquigas - Cannondale
    82 Tom Last (GBr) IG - Sigma Sport

must be getting chatty with the domestic riders
  • Squaggles wrote:
    To ride his bike because thats his job

Ha ha
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky wrote:
    where was that?
    ITV 4.
    Basso was asked what he’d had for breakfast, and answered something like sliced ham, sliced cheese and (to the interviewer’s apparent surprise or distaste) German bread - presumably a brown, part-rye bread, not the common English white, blotting paper-type bread.

The interviewer then persisted with the breakfast topic, saying Basso could have instead enjoyed an English Breakfast with fried bacon, fried egg, fried bread and so on. Perplexed, Basso replied he just had the breakfast he normally took and he obviously showed some puzzlement about why his breakfast was the main topic of the interview.

Seems the interviewer, in the absence of not being able to think of anything better to ask (not a good sign from an interviewer) decided to take up the breakfast theme. Or maybe he didn't want to delve into tactics, etc. so thought to make it light. But why should Basso anyway know of English breakfast tastes (actually only theoretical, not reality for most people)?
  • nickel
    nickel Posts: 476
    Basso is here so Porter can repeatedly mispronounce his first name.
  • If he's staying in a Blackpool Band B sh*t tip tonight he may sample the delights of the Emglish binge drinking chucking up ritual and two Richmond sausages floating in sunflower oil to see him t'right

I bet he cant smile wide enough pulling on his thermals
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Bloody foreigners, coming over here, riding our races, not knowing anything about our breakfasts... Tisnt right
  • The_Special_One
    The_Special_One Posts: 108
    edited September 2012
    I'm sure you could also ask why are Euskaltel-Euskadi here, although it's there 2nd TOB it seems odd for them to head over to our shores.
  • IanLD
    IanLD Posts: 423
    7980677596_2650a3a651_c.jpg
    Basso by 3Orbeas, on Flickr

7980675243_aa1f9f7283_c.jpg
    Sanchez by 3Orbeas, on Flickr

To let me see them and get some photos :lol:
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    I'm sure you could also ask why are Euskaltel-Euskadi here, although it's there 2nd TOB it seems odd for them to head over to our shores.

Sanchez is here because he needs racing kms to prepare for the Worlds. Basso isn't doing the Worlds.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Lombardi innit.
  • knedlicky
    afx237vi wrote:
    Sanchez is here because he needs racing kms to prepare for the Worlds. Basso isn't doing the Worlds.
    Maybe because any race is good training? Same reason Basso and others are here. You don’t have to always (try to) win for it to be beneficial.

Euskatel have always gone for stage races rather than one-dayers and despite what Porter kept saying about how unaccustomed Euskatel (another name he can’t pronounce) might be to rain, it does rain in the Basque country and quite a bit at that. Also the terrain there isn’t that dissimilar to the chunkier bits here.

Urtasun did well in the Peak District, and I’m surprised he let House get an advantage in the mountains jersey, but I wouldn’t say that matter was closed between the two.
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    knedlicky wrote:
    knedlicky wrote:
    where was that?
    ITV 4.
    Basso was asked what he’d had for breakfast, and answered something like sliced ham, sliced cheese and (to the interviewer’s apparent surprise or distaste) German bread - presumably a brown, part-rye bread, not the common English white, blotting paper-type bread.

The interviewer then persisted with the breakfast topic, saying Basso could have instead enjoyed an English Breakfast with fried bacon, fried egg, fried bread and so on. Perplexed, Basso replied he just had the breakfast he normally took and he obviously showed some puzzlement about why his breakfast was the main topic of the interview.

Seems the interviewer, in the absence of not being able to think of anything better to ask (not a good sign from an interviewer) decided to take up the breakfast theme. Or maybe he didn't want to delve into tactics, etc. so thought to make it light. But why should Basso anyway know of English breakfast tastes (actually only theoretical, not reality for most people)?

The interviewer was Ned Boulting who is usually pretty good. He's usually used to interviewing riders in France at the Tour so I'm guessing he was just trying to find out what someone like Basso is thinking about being in this country for a race, but keeping it light hearted. It doesn't need to be serious race tactics or form all the time.
  • knedlicky
    I recognise Boulting was trying to keep it light-hearted and what we learnt was Basso can be pleasant to even stupidly glib interviewers.
    I suppose that gives Basso a one-up in PR compared to Wiggins.
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,314
    knedlicky wrote:
    I recognise Boulting was trying to keep it light-hearted and what we learnt was Basso can be pleasant to even stupidly glib interviewers.
    I suppose that gives Basso a one-up in PR compared to Wiggins.

Or a "one-up", perhaps, to Wiggo for keeping it real?

I think this is one of the things that divides opinion about pro cyclists and their media interaction: some people don't mind the "on-message" PR conscious guff of the "I am calm and have positive sensations" ilk, whilst never really letting people know how they feel. Contador being a classic example. My suspicion is that he's an alright bloke with a sense of humour (this is backed up by George Hinchapie's mention of AC enjoying japes, pranks and larking about - quite contrary to his media persona), but his background and status has him and his people believe that a certain facade is appropriate...
    Personally, I'd much rather the honest, genuine and relatively unconsidered response - there's usually more there to feel instinctively connected to and trustworthy of.
  • dsoutar
    dsoutar Posts: 1,746
    IanLD wrote:
    7980677596_2650a3a651_c.jpg
    Basso by 3Orbeas, on Flickr

7980675243_aa1f9f7283_c.jpg
    Sanchez by 3Orbeas, on Flickr

To let me see them and get some photos :lol:

Happy pair of souls, aren't they
  • andyrac
    andyrac Posts: 1,173
    They're both here for Saturday - the Devon stage. They've heard of the famous Cream Teas....... ;)
    All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • knedlicky wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:
    Maybe because any race is good training? Same reason Basso and others are here. You don’t have to always (try to) win for it to be beneficial.

Euskatel have always gone for stage races rather than one-dayers and despite what Porter kept saying about how unaccustomed Euskatel (another name he can’t pronounce) might be to rain, it does rain in the Basque country and quite a bit at that. Also the terrain there isn’t that dissimilar to the chunkier bits here.

Urtasun did well in the Peak District, and I’m surprised he let House get an advantage in the mountains jersey, but I wouldn’t say that matter was closed between the two.
    Probably something like this. Sky would probably take themselves off somewhere quiet and practice as a team but there are still a few riders/teams who subscribe to the old-fashioned view that the best way to prepare for a race is to race.
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • hammerite wrote:
    knedlicky wrote:
    knedlicky wrote:
    where was that?
    ITV 4.

The interviewer was Ned Boulting who is usually pretty good. He's usually used to interviewing riders in France at the Tour so I'm guessing he was just trying to find out what someone like Basso is thinking about being in this country for a race, but keeping it light hearted. It doesn't need to be serious race tactics or form all the time.

Ned Boulting is a good at his job, but I think he just dislikes Basso so decided to ask him stupid questions.

Rule No.10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster
  • roypsb
    roypsb Posts: 309
    Thank goodness for Ned Boulting on this ToB coverage, he's excellent. Porter and Co have been very poor.

I guess Basso is just using this for training.
  • hammerite wrote:
    knedlicky wrote:
    knedlicky wrote:
    where was that?
    ITV 4.

+1, bl00dy hell like, lighten up, Ned Boulting was just trying to have a bit of humour with Basso, which clearly Basso didn't really get due to the language barrier (Yes his english is good but it's not great). It was a light hearted question.
  • dov2711
    dov2711 Posts: 131
    Basso certainly seemed a happy chap in Dumfries while giving loads of time to the small number of spectators who were round the Liquigas bus.

My kid hasnt stopped talking about how she got her photo taken with him. She also wasnt too impressed when the woman in the local spar didnt know who he was (How dare she!!)

Its a PR win with a bit of "race" miles thrown in. Must be good for Basso, Sanchez et all to have some space at a stage race while the SKY team take the hit as the clamour round their bus/riders was at fever pitch.
  • You lot have upset him so much, he's gone off on a solo break. :P
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • I knew he read this site , did you enjoy today ?
    The UCI are Clowns and Fools