Shimano Shifters & Cable Setup

jerryfudd
jerryfudd Posts: 343
edited September 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi,

I'd heard that a good setup is some XT shifters with some XTR cables - so purchased these.

My question is that the box for the XTR cables doesn't actually say 'XTR' or a model how do I know they are what I purchased?

Also, the XT (M770) shifters came with cables - which I wasn't expecting..... are these 'XT' cables? based on the above question are they really any better than additional ones I bought?

shimano_cabgr3bk.jpg?w=350&h=350&a=7
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-mtb-xtr-gear-cable-set-ptfe-coated-inner-wire/

thanks

Dan

Comments

• Xtr cables are black and the outer should say sp41 on it.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    part number?

on the back.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Shimano's top-end gear cables are SP41 or the older SP40, sometimes referred to as XTR/Dura-Ace cables

SP41 outers have white silicon grease inside them and the ferrules have o-rings to keep the grease in and water out.
  • thanks guys ill give that a check.

and compared to the SP40/41's that I 'should' have got - how do they compare with what would have been supplied with my M770 shifters?

thanks,

Dan
  • No Outer should have been supplied.
  • .blitz
    edited September 2012
    jerryfudd wrote:
    and compared to the SP40/41's that I 'should' have got - how do they compare with what would have been supplied with my M770 shifters?
    From your link:

Includes
    1.2 mm inner wires (1 x 2100 mm, 1 x1800 mm)
    Black 4 mm SP41 outer casing for a complete bike (1 x 3000 mm)
    Sealed outer caps with added tongue for rubber shields
    Inner end caps

It would seem that Wiggle have supplied you with the correct cables. FWIW SP41 is approx £3/m and the ferrules are £1 each

The std Shimano SIS cable outers aren't pre-filled with grease and they don't have sealed ferrules.
  • .blitz wrote:
    jerryfudd wrote:
    From your link:

Includes
    1.2 mm inner wires (1 x 2100 mm, 1 x1800 mm)
    Black 4 mm SP41 outer casing for a complete bike (1 x 3000 mm)
    Sealed outer caps with added tongue for rubber shields
    Inner end caps

It would seem that Wiggle have supplied you with the correct cables. FWIW SP41 is approx £3/m and the ferrules are £1 each

The std Shimano SIS cable outers aren't pre-filled with grease and they don't have sealed ferrules.

thanks for everyones help!

...was a bit of a what the hell upgrade as i was feeling a bit flush this month :lol:

Dan
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    jerryfudd wrote:
    and compared to the SP40/41's that I 'should' have got -
    nope. does not come with. inners only.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • .blitz
    Fantastic cables BTW full outers and SRAM shifters :P and you'll never have to adjust the gears again